Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3300 Capture Printer Port to Computer serial port.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WillyKelleher

Programmer
Feb 19, 2002
US
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to capture the 3300 printer output to a computer com port. I am trying a DB9 M to DB9 F straight through cable with hyper terminal and don't see any data. I am guessing it is the cable or hyper terminal but it may be something else. I am on my way to get a null modem cable and maybe a breakout box if I can find it.

Basically I want to get traffic reports from our system and I don't want to buy a serial printer. I tried to setup a network printer but was not able to use it for the Traffic report port.

Also does anyone know of a good software program to collect this data to be viewed later. Or if there is any other way to get call statistics from the system to show things like concurrent calls and calls per trunk etc....

I know I could use SMDR and call accounting but I don't think that gives the same results as the traffic reports.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried the DOS "MODE" command?

i.e., open a command window and enter the command MODE /?

In the resulting screen look at the part about redirecting the output.

Code:
C:\>mode /?
Configures system devices.

Serial port:       MODE COMm[:] [BAUD=b] [PARITY=p] [DATA=d] [STOP=s]
                                [to=on|off] [xon=on|off] [odsr=on|off]
                                [octs=on|off] [dtr=on|off|hs]
                                [rts=on|off|hs|tg] [idsr=on|off]

Device Status:     MODE [device] [/STATUS]

Redirect printing: MODE LPTn[:]=COMm[:]

Select code page:  MODE CON[:] CP SELECT=yyy

Code page status:  MODE CON[:] CP [/STATUS]

Display mode:      MODE CON[:] [COLS=c] [LINES=n]

Typematic rate:    MODE CON[:] [RATE=r DELAY=d]

C:\>

Original MUG/NAMU Charter Member

I have found a different solution. I am FTPing the files off the controller every hour instead of trying to get to them via the printer port. I also am grabbing the SMDR file once a week as well. This is more in line with my end result of having a file(s) with the data instead of a printout.

As always, Thanks for the help

Hi, I ran into this situation a while back and then discovered that you can actually program a PLID to be a telnet node. I wrote a program to capture and save abut you can easily use any telnet client to make log file.

Here is the except from the sx200mx technician guide:

IP Printer Port
Data for the functions listed below can be output through an IP socket in the controller to a telnet-enabled application for printing.
The default database sends SMDR and CDE Data Print output to IP socket 61328. If you are using a different database, follow the procedure below to program a printer port.
1. Form 11, Data Descriptor
- Define a circuit descriptor to match the characteristics of the device type. The default circuit descriptor number 1 works for most applications.
2. Form 12, Data Assignment
- Program a SOCKET type data device to an available PLID in the following range:

PLID Port PLID Port
1/13/20 61320 1/13/25 61325
1/13/21 61321 1/13/26 61326
1/13/22 61322 1/13/27 61327
1/13/23 61323 1/13/28 61328
1/13/24 61324
- Assign a Tenant, Extension number, COS, COR, and circuit
descriptor number.
3. Form 34, Directed I/O
- Define the printout type to output.

Hope that helps!

Jim

JimHilton,

Very good info but unfortunately you obviously missed the system type. The question is regarding a 3300.

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

This solution works even though most perople will say no.
Using Procomm Telnet, program an entry using the IP of your contoller and port number 23 and enable capture file. Connect using this session. Now using your internet browser connect to the controller. Program the traffic output to LPr3. From MAINTENANCE in ESM print the traffic files you want to LPR3.

The printout will be saved to Procomm as a xx.cap file.

NO GOOD DEED GOES UNPUNISHED!

Oh shoot, it the little things that escape me :)

The 3300 must be able to something similar, it seems internet happy.

Jim

ok unless you specifically want a com port integration try this:
if you want to capture what comes out of the printer port you can telnet to the IP of the controller and use port 1754.
example: telnet 192.168.1.2 1754 - this will output the printer port stuff. let us know how you get on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back