Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

32 MB OS - small hard drive advice needed 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AP81

Programmer
Apr 11, 2003
AU
Hi,

I have made a NAS PC consisting of 2x750GB (Raid 1) into a small custom built case and only catered enough space for two hard drives.

My problem now is I still need to run a 32 MB OS (FreeNAS) and do not have the space to comfortably fit another 3.5" or 2.5" hard drive in the case.

I believe that my only other options are: USB key, SD/CF/XD card (or other storage devices) or a micro hard drive.

Which of these would be the most reliable to run the OS? Any other suggestions?

Points to note:
- The PC has a multi-card reader in it.
- The NAS device is just for a SOHO .

Thanks.

FreeNAS only needs) and want to run FreeNAS on its own drive.

FreeNAS only neexs

at my work place, we use a commercial app, OpenE, which comes on a USB cartridge, which plugs into an ONBOARD connector...

Basically it is a bootable USB stick... but I imagine that a CF card with an adapter for IDE would do the trick aswell...

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Thanks. I actually have a IDE-to-CF adapter lying around.

The CompactFlash card is your best bet, as it is compatible with the IDE interface, the simplest interface in a PC for storage. You can google to find adapters.

When using FreeNAS from the CF/IDE adapter route just make sure you use the proper install option for that.

I have noticed that it does boot faster from the CF setup in the event you have a power failure (been a regular thing here with all the storms as of late) or should ever need to reboot.

I have a similar setup with three 500Gb drives. The first two are mirrored (backups, important pictures, girlfriend's class work, etc.). The third is left on its lonesome (just has music, videos and other such stuff that I would not cry over losing.)

How did you make your case?

Remember that CF cards run at various speeds, best to get branded and high speed. ie: Sandisk Extreme III for example or Kingston 266X both are significantly faster than standard CF, I would have though ideal for OS boot.
Slightly more expensive than standard speed but still very cheap at around $30 for a 512mb
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back