Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

32-bit compatibility mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmjoen

Technical User
Jul 26, 2001
US
Hi,

I am running the 64-bit kernel on AIX 5.3. We are hoping to install an application that requires 32-bit compatibility mode. How can I tell if the server is capable?

Thanks!

Any 32bit app compiled for AIX433 up to AIX53 will run on AIX53. I'm betting it will even run on AIX61. The 32bit runtime env hasn't changed since AIX433.

HTH,

p5wizard

This being said, there are some caveats.

Some apps use kernel extensions. 32bit kernel extensions don't load into the 64bit AIX kernel. Either change to 32bit AIX kernel or get an updated kernel extension from the app vendor.
Tweaking the AIX kernel down to 32 has some drawbacks though. E.g. JFS2 and 32bit AIX kernel are no good match. But you can always install an AIX 32bit with plain JFS if necessary.

Sometimes an app will fail to load&run into an environment that it doesn't know about, so even if that env is perfectly valid, the app will fail to start.

Bottom line: try out your app and see how it goes.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back