Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3183 Not enough space on temporary disk. !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

siebel2002

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
US
Hello:

I am running a make table query and I get this error. I used the query design grid to create the query and it takes about 10 min to run & 'complete' the query ..yet at the end of it all, i get this nasty error message..

Error Number :3183 Error Description: Not enough space on temporary disk.

Any ideas, please?

Thanks!

siebel2002

Two things...
How much disk space do you have where you store your TEMP files? Delete your temp files. And delete your Internet Temp files. You should have at least as much free space as you have memory, better to have 2X, and better to have at least 100 MB free. If you have lots of room on your hard drive, look at how your swap file is setup. Normally, this is automatically controlled by Windows, but it may be fixed at a specific size.

Next, what is the query your are running?
How many records are you searching for? Does 10 min seem reasonable for this query?

Here is a thought.
Soemtimes, intentially or untentially, a query returns the product of the joins. Meaning that for each record in table A, ALL records in table B are retrieved. So if 100 records are in Table A and 1000 in B, the query returns 100,000 records. I think name of this query is Artisian. Obviously, this type of query takes a bit of time to run and can take a lot of resources.

Here is the gotcha.
Sometimes Access will use an Artisian query to generate a list of all records and then selects the records that meet a second criteria.

If you are running a complex query, break it up into bits to see what works. Sometimes, it is effective to have a query reference a subquery.

Richard

Thanks Richard. I am currently in the process of checking into all this. Thx again!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back