Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

308EC Vintage Causes PACS Remote Access Failure 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagwoodsystems

Programmer
Aug 24, 2003
US
Avaya has confirmed that 308EC boards bearing serial number 08xxxxxxxx causes the modem handshake to fail with either an R7 or R8 Processor in a 5-Slot backplane. They are currently exploring other hardware combinations to determine the reach of this problem.

The problem is not seen with 308EC boards bearing a 06xxxxxxxx serial number.

It's also not yet clear whether the problem boards affects earlier releases or not. I can only assume that Avaya will issue a formal QPPCN after a more thorough investigation is complete.

Tim Alberstein

Depending on the results of Avaya's investigation, this may be the cause of some of the weird modem problems people have experienced over the many months with that hardware.

Let's hope Avaya follows through...

That was a good find, Tim!

....JIM....

Does the "08" S/N mean that the boards were manufactured in 2008 [ponder]

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.

they have 08 for year then xx for the week and the next 3 digits (I think that is the way) are for the site it has been manufactured at, the rest is serial number for that site.

Good post Tim

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

I don't suffer from insanity
I enjoy every moment of it :)

I've had problems connecting to R7 and R8 processors with serial numbers that start with 08 and I don't even have a 308EC installed in the system at all. I wonder if this is related. Thanks for the info Tim.

Jesse

Are you trying to connect using an external modem or with the remote access PCMCIA card?

Thanks for the kudos, but the discovery was actually made by 805MVP--a "lurker" who logs in so infrequently that he had to create a new login today.

Take away the stars and turn off the sun, this gem belongs to J.R. Thanks, bro.

Tim Alberstein

Thanks Tim!
When attempting to remote into a Partner ACS the modem fax tone is not the high pitched modem tone, but rather a low pitched modem tone that will not allow you to connect to the admin ext 76.
Avaya confirmed today that the problem exists in both the 5-slot and 2-slot carrier solutions when a 308 EC expansion module (with serial number starting with 08xxxxxx), is connected. Once disconnected and/or replaced with an older 308 EC card (Avaya happened to have one beginning with the serial number 06xxxxxx), the high pitched modem tone and handshaking worked. Avaya has suggested reporting any 308 EC modules with SN's beginning with 08xxxxxx to the distributor you purchased it from for either a reimbursement or replacement with an older model.

Man [sad]

First it was the Merlin Magix 016 T/R, then it was the Partner ACS R7 processor and now this. [cry]

Even the very best make mistakes. But isn't it great that you can come to one place to see how things like this test out in the real world, though? I love this forum.

J.R. is the bomb for finding this one. I'll take kudos for initially publishing the problem, but I really want this guy to continue helping the rest of the Avaya community going forward.

Fo shizzle, eh J.R.?

Tim Alberstein

Fo-Shizzle-Bizzle....

[laughtears] You 2 guys crack me up! [laughtears]

Good morning Tech types:
Here is a cut and paste from an e-mail I just received from an Avaya tech, in Colorado:
You should receive the equipment back today. Development is looking into the issue to get this corrected but we want to make sure that in the meantime we have a plan for your customers. Let me know which plan works best for you.
1. Ask your distributor if they can get you older boards where the serial number does not start with 08.
2. We know it works if the 308 is in slot 2 so you can move and reprogram the boards.
3. Wait for development, unsure of ETA.

-#2 is the interesting one. They suggest moving the 308 from the furthest slot to the left (slot 1) to slot 2 and it will work! I asked them are you sure it's nothing to do with the carrier, or backplane, and said no.

In the original carrier configuration this is how I had it set-up from left --> to right:
308EC->Messaging R7->R8 Processor->empty->empty
If you have empty slots, moving boards around is an acceptable work around. What a cluster-F...
I'll keep you updated. Until next time...
-J.R. Trevino

Putting the Avaya Partner Messaging into slot #1 and the 308EC into slot #2 is going to create a gap in the extension numbering sequence. [bomb]

Paul is right. That config puts your "human" extensions in the 10-18 and 27-34 range; VM members would be 19-22 (thus totally wasting 23-26).

Instead of returning the 308EC, you could always send the Remote Access card back instead. For about the same money, it could be replaced by an external Multitech modem and craft port cable.

Tim Alberstein

To build on what Tim suggested [bigsmile], consider replacing the Remote Access card with a standard backup/restore card. Even though the R7 & R8 processors have internal memory to store configurations, if the power supply goes or the processor suffers some other critical failure, the PCMCIA card provides an easy way to import the configurations to the replacement processor. [thumbsup2]

I also have had these problems, when the 308 is removed I can communicate. I tried external modems but don't know cable pinouts from DB9 to RJ45. Do the modem cables from the Messaging RS232 match the ACS and what baud rate? I tried and it did not work.

I lost about 2 weeks work on this because I am too stubborn to let a modem get in my way.

If I move the card to slot 2 from slot 1, will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back