Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

300GB to 500GB SAS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

teqmod

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
US
I currently have 4 300GB drives in a server. I have 500Gb drives on the shelf. I was wondering if I was to fail the drives, replace them with the 500GB drives and allow the raid to rebuild (one at a time of course) once it completed would the additional 600GB (200GB from each drive) be available?

You should not need to fail the drives, just pull a live drive, replace with one of the larger drives, let rebuild complete, go on to the next drive.

Two ways to utilize the added space...
The addition space would be usable as a separate OS volume, which would be created within Disk Manger.

Or with a third party partition manger (Acronis, Paragon etc) you could resize your present OS volume to use the addition space presented by the new drives. If Win server 2008 you could do this Disk Manager without a 3rd party software, within it's limitations.
As a precaution, I would backup first, run chkdsk on the array before resizing; never had it go wrong, but it pay to be cautious.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Thanks for the info. I will get started on this today.

Another possibility...

If you have 8 bays, you could set up the new drives as a new array, then clone (with 3rd party imaging software) the old array to the new array..a bit safer if you have the extra slots.

Good luck

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back