Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

300GB SATA MAXTOR not recognized in BIOS.. please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRELUDiCON

Technical User
Dec 19, 2004
CA
Hi...

My motherboard is ASUS P4P800 Deluxe.

I am currently running one SATA MAXTOR drive 120GB with no problems.

Just purchased the new MAXTOR 300GB SATA drive w/16MB cache [6B300S0], plugged it into the SATA2 connector, started up my machine and the BIOS did not recognize EITHER drive @ this point !! :(

So I tried JUST the new 300GB drive on its' own hooked up to the SATA1 connector, and couldn't even get into the BIOS, it just froze after counting the memory!

I took the new drive out of the case and held it with just the power cable hooked up, powered on the machine, and sure enough felt it working, so it's not a power issue.

I am assuming it's also not a SATA controller driver issue since I am already using an SATA drive without problems?? Or do I need a driver for EACH drive? If yes, would appreciate someone help me how to install such a driver.

I hope someone can provide a solution, I really need to get this drive working.

Regards,
Patryk.

Haven't worked on SATA yet, but on IDE controllers (in device manager), there is a setting for:
1.One channel (default)
2.Auto
3.Both
See if you have this with SATA.

I don't see this option for SATA and it's not exactly as you stated for IDE either.

I don't believe that is the issue anyway. As I said, I'm currently running an SATA drive with no problems, and even if I try to replace this with the new one, PC just hangs after the POST/RAM count.

So I'm guessing it's either the drive or the BIOS... I'm hoping problem will be solved with the latest BIOS update though I've looked through the updates online and don't see anything specifying my issue.

Any other suggestions? Could the drive be too large [300GB] for the MOBO/BIOS ??

It does sound like a motherboard problem as opposed to the HDD, the P4P800 Deluxe is a relatively new motherboard but then the MAXTOR 300GB SATA drive w/16MB cache [6B300S0] is even newer so my thought is a bios flash should sort out this problem.
I would recommend that before you do this you should email Asus who may already be aware of this issue.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

OK...I tried a number of things, but I believe this is what did it...

I disconnected all drives, powered up, entered BIOS setup.

On the MAIN screen where all the drives are listed [all NOT DETECTED @ this point obviously], underneath is an option for IDE CONFIGURATION.

I selected this and was taken to another screen with many options...there is one that defines HOW the drives are detected...

The selected value was QUICK. The only other option for this was NORMAL.

I switched it to NORMAL, powered down, plugged in the 300GB drive on its' own, powered up. After about 30 seconds of scanning, was able to enter BIOS [PC did not freeze], on the MAIN screen was able to see the drive!

Powered down, plugged in original drive to SATA1 and new drive to SATA2, powered up, entered BIOS, able to see BOTH drives !!!

Exited BIOS, proceeded to boot into Windows without any problem. Under Disk Management, drive shows up as 279.47GB [20+GB different than rated? is that normal?], formatted the drive as a DYNAMIC disk split into 3 Volumes.

Restarted machine, entered BIOS, changed IDE detection setting back to QUICK, exited/saved BIOS, PC booted up and detected both drives without problems.

Hope this helps someone with similar issue. Maybe even added to some FAQ list ?

Cheers!

thanks for the help!

Glad you found it. As for "not exactly as you stated for IDE either", I guess CMOS setup is different on SATA mobos. I've never run across a "second" HD setup page. I've worked on IDE and RAID/IDE, but like I noted in my post - I haven't worked on a SATA mobo yet. When we get all the this stuff straitened out, then we will have to start on 64bit OS's and new PCI standards!

I've had what looks to be the same problem as PRELUDiCOn. I have an ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe motherboard, with a Western Digital 160GB(SATA) on SATA-1 on the ICH5R controller, with WinXP on it. This works fine. I tried adding a Maxtor 256GB (SATA) on SATA-2 on this controller, and the machine freezes up before I can get into the BIOS. I've moved this drive to the other controller (the Promise), and it works great.

However, I cannot find the screen with the quick and normal detection methods in my BIOS.

Does anyone have any ideas about this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back