Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3004-004 You must "exec" login from the lowest login shell. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

crimeanbob

Programmer
Mar 7, 2002
US
Hi i get this message when attempting to telnet in to an AIX 5l system. I've searched all over the net including this forum but have only found cryptic answers to what this means and how to solve it.

Can someone give me an idiots guide to what's going on here please. I have the basic explanation;

/*
Possible Causes
You attempted to log off the system while processes are still running in another shell.

Procedures for Recovery
Notes:
Verify that all processes have stopped.

Log off from the lowest login shell.
*/

But it does not help. I have no processes running when I attempt to log in.

Thanks for any help.

ps -fu <your login> to see if you do have anything running.

type 'jobs' to see if you have anything running.

are you running openssh? UseLogin yes is broken.

I believe I am running openssh but I checked and I definately have no processes running. (checked when logged in as someone else)

I'll search for UseLogin but if you have a link to info on it I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

O.K. I checked out UseLogin. can someone let me know how I stop/restart ssh correctly on AIX, so it can re-read the conf file?

cheers.

You should just be able to "HUP" the applicable sshd process.

Code:
# ps -ef | grep /usr/bin/sshd
   root  4550662   516176   1 13:53:44  pts/0  0:00 grep /usr/bin/sshd
# kill -HUP 4550662

I've ps -ef |grep ssh and killed the pid then executed the daemon with the path from the ps command. It may not be the most graceful way but it always works.

If it is a subsystem then 'refresh -s subsystemname' or 'kill -HUP PID' or kill it and start it.

Oops! You should be looking for "/usr/sbin/sshd" not "/usr/bin/sshd". (New fingers...)

refresh doesn't work with sshd. Atleast not the way that I have it setup.
Code:
# refresh -s sshd
0513-005 The Subsystem, sshd, only supports signal communication.

I suppose he may have it setup differently.

Great, I'll give it a try when I get back to the factory tomorrow.

Thanks again

Hi again,

I set UseLogin no and then did kill -HUP pid of sshd but still I get the same error. Any idea?

I think you root filesystem was full.
type df -k to check your "/" filesystem % usage

One of the possile reasons for this is that either you exec any command like
sudo su -[/color blue]
during the logon process or you have similar command(s) in your .profile[/color blue].
For example, for PuTTY SSH-client you may configure to exec any command during the logon process at
Connection -> SSH -> Remote Command
[/color blue]configuration section and this will prevent you from direct logging to another ID, therefore you have to use su[/color blue] to do this. Just take a look at your .profile[/color blue] or client config carefully to catch any logon-time command.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back