Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3000 files in Queue folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

mholbert

IS-IT--Management
Jan 10, 2006
US
I am running Exchange 2003 sp2 on a Windows Server 2003 standard sp1 box.

I am in the process of configuring Sender ID filtering and Inteligent Message Filtering (IMF).

In the process of this, I have discovered that I have almost 3000 files in my queue directory located at
"C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\Mailroot\vsi 1\Queue".

Why are there so many files there? Should I do anything with them? Thoughts? MH

These are outbound mail queues, they will eventually clear when the messgaes are delivered or expired. Most likely you had a NDR attack or a ton of spam to invlaid users (directory harvesting). Typically spam is from spoffed or bogus domains so when the NDR is sent it fails and sits in the Queue. If you look in ESM you should see close to same # of queues as files.

I just wanted to say that I am having the same problem but not quite the extent of mholbert. Where can I adjust the expire time for mail in the queues?

Hi,

I think (from memory) this is in the SMTP protocol settings from within ESM.

This will affect all outgoing email though, so if you are sending to a legitimate host with a flaky email server you want to ensure that you do not time your legit messages out too quickly.

I use a 12hr timeout.
First retry 5 mins, second retry 10 mins, subsequent retries 30 mins, warning at 3hrs and failure at 12hrs.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back