Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 T1's and BGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

NETING

IS-IT--Management
Jan 13, 2004
US
Hi All,

Current Scenario: In our Maufacturing facility we currently have a Cisco 2620XM with 1 T1 internet circuit.

Goal: We would like to bring in 2 other T1 lines from diverse providers. The plan is to setup a BGP session for failover using default route with the current link that is there and one of the new links. At the same time we would like to have the third link used for mirroring data back and forth from our headquarter office.

The Question: What would be the best way to approach this project interms of hardware and architecture. The current router in the manufacturing plant only has 1 WIC and that currently terminates the existing link. Our router is what I call an internet router. It is connected to our firewall. The firewall is the device that does all of our NAT's, terminates the VPN with our other sites. Just to give you a feel of what our router is doing. It's basically passing internet traffic.

Any suggestions comments...I have been through one BGP set up so I know that process. I would just like to know what options are out there for this scenario.

Thanks in advance.

I currently run a Cisco 2620XM as our "internet router" with three T1's from our ISP (internet protocol routing enabled). Our ISP "bonds" the three T1's, but it is three seperate lines coming in. In my 2620 I have three WIC 1DSU T1 cards, and then the output goes from the F/E card and into my Cisco 4006 switch, and then on to the external interface on my PIX firewall. The PIX provides NAT, VPN, etc.

I provide internet access via that for 27,000 students and over 2,500 employees [thumbsup2]. It handles the load fine (CPU <30%), however I do have a 2650 setting on the shelf and one day when time allows I will probably upgrade to that so as to plan for ongoing growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back