Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 pins or 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Sep 2, 2001
US
Last week a customer asked me a question about a Nic card. His question was is it 3 pins or 4(or something within those lines0 My question is what is he referring to, and what is the advantage or disadvantage of 3 or 4 pins.
thanks

4 pins. 2 pairs. A transmit pair and a receive pair.
I'm not sure if I answered the question he was asking. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

If we are talking 10baseT or 100baseT then 3 pins wired in a rj45 plug or socket wouldn't work. Normally all 8 wires (4 sets of 3 pairs) are connected, but only 4 wires are actually needed as ed said.

I can only think he was referring to the number of pairs in the cabling involved, so either would do, but normally you would wire up all 4 pairs and I don't think Cat5 cable comes in less than 4 pairs anyway.

Hope this is clearish, ask them what they mean next time you see them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back