Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 NIC's on Win2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcp

Technical User
May 15, 2001
ID
hello,
i have a RF link from one of our premises to the head office.
At the head office there is an ORINOCCO router.At the branch office there is a WAVELAN card which goes into a Win2k Server.there is a realtek pc ethernet adapter connected to the LAN.that is how we are connected.
Now we would like move one more LAN from our head office to the branch office.with great difficulty the server takes the realtek card( there is an IRQ conflict... guidance on resolving it is appreciated.)each time we reboot we have to reinstall the realtek card.
when i try to put the second ethernet card (to move the second LAN on to that card the server doesnt come up . it stops saying there is a Hardware error.removing the card i m able to bring up the server....

my aim is to put up two lans in the branch office for which i need to have two ether net cards on the win2k server.
guidance will be deeply appreciated.
Regards,
kcp

everything stands or falls with your network cards.
If you're not able to set unique IRQ's you will have problems.
My experience with Realtek is that they work fine until you have to place 2 realtek cards into 1 server.
I would advise you to place a 3com or Intel card in your server,
turn off IRQ for VGA and IRQ for USB in the server's BIOS,
try to move the network cards around (choose other PCI slots because the card gets the IRQ assigned based on what PCI slot it resides in)

Good luck
Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back