Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 Networks and Subnetting Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaun111

Technical User
Apr 23, 2008
GB
Hi

I have 3 networks at the moment, 192.168.0.x, 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x

The 0.x and 2.x are internet gateway routers that attach to a dual Wan firewall switch which is the 1.x network.

My problem is that if you attach to the 1.x switch directly everything is fine because the main network devices are on the 1.x network, however I have 2 servers on the 0.x network and if I'm attached to them I can;t see the 1.x or 2.x networks and I need to be able to see all three of them.

I assume it's to do with the subnet address whcih at the moment is 255.255.255.0 on all, although I have tried 255.255.0.0 on all and it makes no difference.

So in summary three completly configurable routers (1 is a switch aswell) just trying to get the config right, whats frustrating is that they all work in their own right just can't see each other.

Any help would be appriciated and I can post any additional info that anyone might need.

Thanks , rgds Shaun

A NAT router protects a local network from some remote network, often the internet. Anything attached to the WAN or Internet Port will not see into a NAT router's subnet.

You have 3 devices you do not give us Model or Vendor for, at least two of which are NAT routers as delivered. Can they be configured to not do NAT? No idea, I can't read the user manual for a device I don't know the name of.

If you had this to do over, or this was any sort of a business, I would encourage you to read up on Layer 3 switches. If it is for home use, tell us the model numbers.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Yes they can have NAT turned off.

Models are:-

The two routers connecting to the different broadband connections are:DG834GT and a DG834PN Netgear

The Firewal switch is FVS124G Netgear

And there is a thrid router acting as a wireless gateway:
WPN824 Netgear

So the first two (DG834GT & DG834PN) are configured on 192.168.2.x and 192.168.0.x respectivly, these both connect into the Dual Wan firewall (FVS124G) which is confiured as 192.168.1.x (it has to be this way because Netgear say that the dual broadband connections must be on different nets. The last device WPN824 is on the 192.168.2.x network acting as a second access point (wireless).

rgds Shaun

Looks like the DG834GT and DG834PN can disable NAT and use RIP or Static routes, so it should be able to not hide devices behind it. If you turn off NAT, you will need to configure the WAN IP manually. The FVS124G can also use RIP, so router configuration should go smoothly.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back