Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3-d lockups with Athlon, Asus, Nvidia system 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacdswen

Technical User
Nov 18, 2000
US
I am trying work out a problem with an H.P. system I recently bought, It constantly locks up or sometimes even throws me ouy totally and tries to reboot the system when ever I play any and every 3-d game, but never has any error messages.
It is an 800 Atlon, uses a "Pandora motherboard" which is a house branded Asus K7M, with some slight differences for H.P. only and with only very basic adjustments you can set in the bios, I have 196 megs of memory, which shows 100 to 125 megs open after boot up, 97% system resources open, no ghost drivers or add-on hardware in the background, pulled out the TNT2 video card, and put in a Geforce2 GTS DDR 32 meg card with a fan on the chip, I pulled out the 185 watt power supply and put in a 300 watt AMD approved one, the system has large heat sink, and a very large fan aimed right the cpu, I pulled the factory combo audio card and put in a S.B. Live card.
All of these upgrades were done 1 at a time, with no difference, and with the latest drivers for everything including the AMD 751 chipset, DX 7.0a, reflashed the bios (used H.P.s update, don't know if I dare use the Asus one)reloaded the O.S. and reformatted the H.D. several times, the video card has a dedicated irq.
These problems seem to go away when I run Dxdiag and disable agp support, but then I lose my frame rates bad, and when I run Sisandra or Wcpuid, they both show the agp speed running at 1x not the 2x it is rated at, and even when I edit the registry it stays at 1x, but at this point I don't care about that, H.P. support and their "forum" are completely clueless or don't what to fess up to this problem at all.
So, what is the deal with these problems I am reading about with Athlon, Nvidia combos not working together? or a early Asus m.b. problems? or both? suggested cures or ideas? different m.b.? which one? (slot a), another video card? (I don't think a Voodoo 5 will fit in the case due to it's apparent length, and the location of my drives)
Any input or ideas on this would be great.

Does your motherboard have the via chipset?? If so you will need to download and install teh latest via 4 in 1 drivers.
Mike
ledzep@hot.rr.com
I am just an old Paratrooper and an avid hardcore gamer too which is gonna get me divorced =) I do not know C++ or any of that other stuff due to being in the Army for 14 years and am too lazy after long houred days to learn.

Hi,
Thanks for the reply, the board has the AMD chipset, and I have installed the latest drivers.
Last night I ran a 3-d game for over an hour with agp support disabled, not one lock-up happened, but you could tell the frame rates were way down, so I don't know exactly what that means, but it makes me doubt that the video card or cpu is overheating.
Any other ideas?

AMD has a patch for Asus video card problems. It is in the microsoft.com site. It is a registry hack called " largepageminimum.reg "
Ron
comtutor@uswestmail.net
Good Luck with this information

"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me

"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy
"My parents were never straight with me" --- P.Picasso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back