Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 consecutive abends from GWIA on bootup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bopritchard

Programmer
Jan 27, 2003
US
any ideas?
as soon as my server boots my console prompt says
ICMAIL <3>:

the abend log says
Server ICMAIL halted Friday, May 14, 2004 12:15:02.625 pm
Abend 3 on P00: Server-5.00k: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000002)
Running process: GWIA-smtpsnd-009 Process
Created by: NetWare Application
Thread Owned by NLM: GWIA.NLM

Additional Information:
The CPU encountered a problem executing code in LIBC.NLM. The problem may be in that module or in data passed to that module by a process owned by GWIA.NLM.

You didn't mention which version of GroupWise you're using.

Novell is aware of some SMTP problems with the 6.5.1 GWIA. SP2 is supposed to fix those problems when it is released this summer.

In the mean time, I'd recommend you start by submitting your abend.log to Novell for analysis. It's free. If it turns out that the abend is caused by a known problem, they will tell you what it is and how to fix it. If it's not a known problem you'll need to do a little digging through the knowledgebase.

Post more info here if the analysis doesn't work and we'll see if there's anything more we can do for you.

Ron

“If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?”
~ Mevlana Rumi

thanks but when i try to submit it it says
The abendlog is invalid. Error occurred on line #147

Are you submitting the complete, unmodified abend.log file from your server? If not, then do so. The analysis tool will parse it to find the last abend and process that abend only. Do not try to modify the log file in any way before you submit it.

Ron

~ Mevlana Rumi

Hi,

Normally when GWIA is the cause of the abend it is due to corrupt email.

Try restrting the server with the GWIA remarked out and cleaning the GWIA directory structure. You can create hold sub directories within the directories and move the items into them.

FYI Abend 3 is not valid because the memory has been corrupted by abend 1 and further corrupted by abend 2. When troubleshooting, look to abend 1 and ignore the others.

Lou

yes i'm submitting a complete unmodified abend log...and it keeps returning an error

[red]Lou0686[/red]'s suggestion about restarting the GWIA and cleaning out the GWIA structure was a good one. Here's what I did recently when I had a bad message abending my GWIA: NOTE: The following was done on a GW 6.5 system. It may be different if you're not using GW 6.5!!

Thinking that there may be a bad message stuck in the system, I shut down all GroupWise processes and renamed the < domain >\MSLOCAL folder. When GroupWise is restarted, this folder is recreated. This didn't help.

A Novell tech instructed me to restart the server without starting any GroupWise processes (REM out lines in your autoexec.ncf that start GroupWise) and to rename the following folders (I added the extension ".OLD"):

< domain >\wpgate\gwia\000.PRC
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\DEFER
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\RECEIVE
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\RESULT
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\SEND
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\WPCSIN
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\WPCSOUT

I brought up just the POA and the MTA and waited a couple minutes to make sure they didn't abend. I then brought up GWIA. When the GWIA was restarted, the above folders were recreated and the server did not abend. I then had to copy any unsuspicious files which were in the old folders which I renamed (.OLD) to the corresponding new folders. These files contain messages which were not delivered. There were several hundred. The tech recommended that I copy them only 5 or 6 at a time.

Copy files from only the following folders and their sub-folders to the corresponding new folders and sub-folders:

< domain >\wpgate\gwia\DEFER.OLD
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\RECEIVE.OLD
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\SEND.OLD
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\WPCSIN.OLD
< domain >\wpgate\gwia\WPCSOUT.OLD

Note that "000.PRC.OLD" and "RESULT.OLD" do not need to be copied.

Some of these files can be opened using notepad if you want to view the message. There were a few files which were very large, so I didn't transfer them. Also, I checked the date/time stamp. A couple of the files had the same date/time stamp as the original abend. These may have been the messages which caused the abend to occur so I did not copy these files either.

Finally, I restarted the messenger service and WebAccess.

This solved my problem. Hope it works for you.

Ron

~ Mevlana Rumi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back