Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3 April updates problem 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanCorst

MIS
Jul 24, 2002
GB
After installing the latest MS security updates a few of our pcs(XP)are dispaying the following error message at startup.

""RTHDCPL.exe - Illegal system DLL Relocation

The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\windows\system32\hhctrl.ocx occupied an address range reserved for windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the dll should be contacted for a new DLL.""

As far as I can tell this is a MS DLL

i am having the same problem, just ran the windows update this morning and rebooted, i have a hp dc5700 win xp pro

any help would be much appreciated

We have HP dc7600 and 7700, but not all pcs seem to be affected??????

It seems to be affecting machine with Realtek HD Audio, or their drivers. Might be worth holding off on deployment where possible.

i tried copying the file aside and deleting it but it just comes back.

at least its only my pc so far

also ran a norton update this morning

but i dont think this had anything to do with it

RTHDCPL.EXE is a startup program for the Realtek HD Audio Effects control panel. Run msconfig and click the Startup tab to see if its in the list of startup programs. If it is, deselect it and reboot and see if you still get the error message.

Just had a look at a few of our machines and it definately only affects pcs with realtek audio cards.

Just installed the update as well. Same error. I'm using a Sony Vaio FS415B Laptop and XP Home. Error message below. I just did a system restore and it fixed it. Microshaft hard at work as usual.

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Popup
Event Category: None
Event ID: 26
Date: 04/04/2007
Time: 11:06:05
User: N/A
Computer: VXIIIC
Description:
Application popup: RTHDCPL.EXE - Illegal System DLL Relocation : The system DLL user32.dll was relocated in memory. The application will not run properly. The relocation occurred because the DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\HHCTRL.OCX occupied an address range reserved for Windows system DLLs. The vendor supplying the DLL should be contacted for a new DLL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

Thanks for that. I've been in touch with MS about a WSUS distributable fix but they were noncomittal and offered me the hotfix as the answer. Luckily we do not have too many machines with the problem. MS star again!!!!!!

Applied the fix supplied by MS, it fixes the problem but has to be applied as administrator!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back