Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3.06GHz processor split into 2 processors 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodowntime

IS-IT--Management
Nov 7, 2003
US
Recently I got a new server that has (1) 3.06GHz processor. When I installed Windows 2000 Server on it, it thought there were 2 processors. I did nothing during installation to make it think this.

During periods of high transaction processing, when I go to the Performance tab on the Task Manager. One CPU is at 80% utilization, while the other one is just 1-2%.

Does anyone know how I can get it to forget about this multiprocessor business, and use all of the 3.06GHz processor?

CPU with Hyperthreading?

From Intel:
The following desktop operating systems are not recommended for use with Hyper-Threading Technology. If you are using one of the following desktop operating systems, it is advised that you should disable Hyper-Threading Technology in the system BIOS Setup program:
Microsoft Windows 2000 (all versions)

Aabout Windows servers and HT:

===
Karlis
ECDL; MCP

Yes!

Outstanding work! Thank you so much!

I disabled Hyper-Threading in the BIOS, and ran some performance tests. It ripped through those transactions unbelieveably fast.

Warp 9, Mr. Data! Engage!

Just thought that as you had your question answered 1st time, and it was explained how to deal sort it, that karlisi deserved a star.

And I wanted to let you know that I thought your ST reference was funny [2thumbsup]

------------------------------------------
Somethings come from nothing, nothing seems to come from somethings - SFA - Guerilla

roycrom :)

Good idea, roycrom! Wish I'd thought of it!

Thanks again, karlisi!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back