Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

3.0.1 ESX Server VM Clone Help 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hydruid

Programmer
Feb 5, 2008
US
What I need to do is copy cvm02 to cvm01 on the same esx server. cvm02 is running windows server 2003 r2.

The problem is that I've tried several different ways and the same problem always returns. When I power on cvm01 it causes cvm02 to weird out.

The tutorial I used was on this page:
I'm not sure if i'm cloning the vm wrong or if I'm missing something inside the vm.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Firstly, what OS is cvm01? You can clone cvm01 to cvm02 but you will have to follow some other procedures depending on OS.

If it is a Windows OS you will need to run something like NEWSID.EXE to change the SID (also changes the name properly).

Also if the Windows Server is in a Domain, you will need to remove cvm02 from the domain once cloned and before you connect it to "the network" (disable the vNIC) and run the SID changer. Also change the IP before you connect it back to the network.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"

cvm01 and cvm02 are virtual machines running on my esx server, both ran microsoft windows server 2003 and were used as terminal services.

Here is what I did:
1. deleted cvm01 because it basically crashed
2. used vmware converter to copy cvm02 to cvm01(and the process in the other link by copying from command line)
3. renamed the clone of cvm02 to cvm01
4. disabled both nics and booted the machine up
5. changed both nics to different static ip's
6. unjoined the domain
7. rebooted
8. renamed the server from cvm01 to cvm02
9. rebooted
10. ran newsid from microsoft
11. rebooted
12. joined domain
13. rebooted

But even after all that, when cvm01 was running it caused cvm02 to have problems, mostly people not being able to log into it.

forgot to add that i enabled the nics in between step 11 and 12

are you saying cvm02 works when cvm01 is not powered on?.

Did you activate terminal services on cvm02 after the clone.

ok let me explain this again, you're not getting it.

i had 2 vm's both running windows server 2003. there names were cvm01 and cvm02. cvm01 crashed. cvm02 works great. i deleted cvm01 and i cloned cvm02 to cvm01.

cvm02 works great until i power on cvm01 (which was cloned from cvm02).

Try replacing vnics, i.e if you have 2x nics add another 2 so there are now 4 and then delete the first 2 so you now only have 2 nics (3&4). power up and configure with ip settings.

What is the role of the two servers?

When I was born I was so suprised I didn't talk for 18 months

They are Terminal Servers

Can you explain what error messages are displayed when users try to login (and are there any errors in the Event Viewer of either server)?

I have followed a similar procedure to you before (except I used NEWSID to rename the server as well as changing the SID) and I have not had any issues...

Both servers are terminal servers.

I will create the 2 new nics and delete the old 2, rename the box to cvm01a, and then use newsid to rename back to cvm01.

after that i will also check the event viewer to see if there is anything strange in there.

Basically when i power on cvm01, you can't log into cvm02 anymore and users that are logged in, have their desktop freeze.

That looks exactly like a SID problem

Try running sidgen or ghostwalker if you have it.

And make sure the cloned server is out of the domain before you run the SID changer, then add it back to the domain when the SID changer has run and rebooted

Ok here is what i did:

1. Added 2 nics to cvm01 (total is 4 now, and disconnected all nics)
2. joined cvm01 to a workgroup
3. rebooted
4. renamed cvm01 to cvm01a
5. shutdown
6. deleted nic's 1 and 2 (connected nics 3 and 4)
7. powered on
8. ran newsid and through that renamed the server back to cvm01
9. rebooted
10. deleted server name out of active directory
11. went to set the static ip's but they carried from from the old cards. verified that the mac's were different on cvm01 from the mac's on cvm01
12. but then it wouldn't let me join the domain (i started thinking that when i deleted nic 1 and 2 something went wrong)
13. i added to more nics, now 5 and 6. total still is 4 (so there is 3, 4, 5, 6)
14. i disabled the 3 and 4 which had static ip's and ran dhcp on the other 2.
15. joined the domain
16. rebooted
17. set 3 and 4 nics to automatic but left them disabled
18. gave the static ip's to the 5 and 6
19. tested and was good to go

Did I do something wrong with the nic's? I had named nic 1 (local area connection), nic 2 (load balance nic), nic 3 (new3), and nic 4 (new4). When I deleted nic 1 and 2, it appeared to rename nic 3 and 4 to local area connection and load balance nic and had the same static ip's. So i think somehow when i deleted nic 1 and 2 it really deleted nic 3 and 4.

Right now it is working like a champ. Thank you guys very much!

You seem to have a lot of NICs there - do you only have one per vSwitch in the ESX config?

not sure how to check to see how many I have per the vswitch.

typically on my terminal servers, they only have 2. 1 is for load balancing and 1 is for management.

other application servers only have 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back