Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2Wire Adsl Modem Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TerryW34

MIS
Dec 7, 2012
US
Afternoon,

Last week I looked at an individuals wireless in their home. The complain was it was slow even with two wireless switches. Upon doing a scan, it was found the main unit ( 2wire 2701, AT&T is the provider) was using a channel (1) that most of the neighbors were using. Moved the unit to channel 3 and all seemed to be fine. Looked at the power setting for the wireless and boosted it up from the low setting it was at, to provide better signal in the house.
Noticed after a while the internet light would go read on the 2wire and the client via the web browser being use at the time, would come back asking to restart.

Have never seen this type of behavior before, what type of an issue am I looking at, adsl modem issue, issue related to power setting boost or something else I am not thinking of at this time? At this time the internet connection is being reported as not functioning.

Regards,
Terry

I would NEVER advise you to use any channels other than 1, 6, or 11 in the 2.4 Ghz band, EVER.

I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Tsar of all the Rushers

jimbopalmer,

the problem is an overload on the 3 normal channels you mention for 2.4, cutting into speed for the, making the wireless useless, because of heavy usage of those channels. i did use and have a document once several years ago that outlined a configuration for using 4 alternate channels, did at another job in the 2.4 and ran smooth.
i was more interested in learning about any issues or unique things about 2wire devices and configurations, being this is the first time i have worked with them. they seem to be a cheap brand of device compared to what i have worked with in the past.

regards,
terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back