Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2ports on the same Network 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

brewer61

IS-IT--Management
Feb 24, 2003
US
I have a Cisco 3600 router
I have 2 ethernet ports that i want to put on the same
right now i get a overlapping err
network. x.x.x.0
one x.x.x.12
and the other x.x.x.11
kinda of a one in one out
How do i make that happen?

The first question I would ask is why do you want to put 2 interfaces onto the same sub-net?

You have already seen that the router bitches about this, you may be able to use bridging to do this but it depends what you are trying to do.

The Problem Is i have a secure device a TACLANE and i want to go in secure and come out unsecure that is why
I am hitting a wall we cannot get the network to work
thesignal path goes
router taclan wifi radio wifo radio taclan router

this is to set up a side extension for an already existing network. a 64.x.x.0 255.255.255.0 network
i want to send this network out to a distant end site through radio. Any Help?

Where do you work at bro, if you want you can contact me at jspinella1@cox.net or spinella.johng@tacamo.navy.mil and I might be able to help ya with that taclane. I'm one of the EKMS Managers here at Tinker AFB and we have plenty of that stuff and should be able to come up with an answer for ya.

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, BSCI, BCRAN, CST

brewer61,

To have two ethernet / fast ethernet ports int the SAME network on the SAME router you MUST use bridging.

config looks like this:

conf t
bridge 1 protocol ieee
<<-- enables bridging over ethernet
bridge 1 route ip
<<-- allows you to route IP in the bridge
bridge irb
interface ethernet 0/0
bridge-group 1
<<-- Joins that interface into the bridge-group
no shut
interface ethernet 1/1
bridge-group 1
no shut
interface bvi 1
<<-- Accesses the layer 3 (ip) portion of the bridge-group
ip address 64.1.1.1 255.255.255.224
no shut
end
wr

later-

Will that let you do load balancing accross the 2 ethernet links?

BuckWeet

brewer61,

Maybe i'm just lost but your network for the TACLANE isn't making much sence to me. According to your signal flow, that isn't the way it is supposed to be connected. The TACLANE isn't a router, you connect it to the router but on the inside. Unless you already have black data that was already encrypted by the TACLANE your wasting your time and you have a $10k paper weight. I'm just trying to figure out what your trying to do, data should be travelling from your network, to the TACLANE, to the router and than to the radio then the other way around at the distant end. Why would you take encrypted data in and send it out red??? I thought the idea was to encrypt any outgoing data. Are you trying to pass data from one network to another without transiting a WAN? Or are you trying to separate classified data from unclas data with the TACLANE? If so, you can't. You can separate your data using multiple TACLANE's, one for a spacific LAN and another for that LAN to transit a WAN but that would be a waste of good cash.

SpudNuts(ITC), USN(Ret), CCNA, BSCI, BCRAN, CST

They way i see it is

1) You cannot route between two interfaces on the same network. From the routes perspective; &quot;what is the point of having me here??&quot; - think of the entries in the routing table!!!

2) Bridging - a bridege also bridges between networks and builds up a MAC table to identify were the devices are - it will see them on both sides??? I can see it bridging

3)If you need to ip address on the eternet intface use the IP secondry xxx.xx.xx.xx. command

4) Coming form a military background mixing red and black secure / nonsecure is a big no no!

Not sure what you are trying to achiecve but I think your solutioin involves setting up a secure subnet and routing through to it....

Hope this helps

Buckweet in order to do load balancing you need to setup channel groups to bond your ports

CCNA MCP NET+ A+

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back