Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Processor Module

Status
Not open for further replies.

werb

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
US
Hi all,
I upgraded my SUN Ultra60 with a second CPU, that means I bought two identical CPU's, removed my old one and insertet the two new CPU's. So far so good.
Now my question: before the 2 CPU's my start screen showed
OK
now with two CPU's my start screen shows
{0} OK
is this normal or is there anything wrong ???

thx
Werb

your are in the lowest level, called: OBP. All sparc server have this level of administration.

if you want your server to automagically return to run-level 3 after a reboot and not stop at the 'ok' prompt, then run the following command.

setenv auto-boot? true

now try and boot the system with this command:

at 'ok' type boot, like below

ok boot <enter>

this will attempt to boot the system into multi-user mode, providing no other issues arrise.

Thanks djr111,
bout your hint isn't new to me.
What I want to know is
on this low level with one CPU my start screen shows
OK
and with a second CPU my start screen shows
{0}OK
now I want to know the meaning of the zero in the
brackets {0} before the OK

Is there anybody out there who can explain me
the meaning of it ????

thx
werb

WERB;

If I remember correctly the {0} is pointing to cpu 0. Yes I have seen this before an it is not a problem. I read something about this a long time ago so I can't point you to any specific doc. I will take a quick look around in my stack of stuff but you are fine.

Did you also update OBP?

You could try removing cpu0 and then power your system back on and see if it shows a 1 but I can't be sure what it will show.

Thanks

CA

werb;

I found this blurb, and it rang my bell. I was fooling around with low level device tree info and commands, this happened to be one of them. I was running commands to look at the different cpu's speeds etc and wanted to know how to look at cpu 1 (I also have an ultra60) and found this.

I believe if you run module-info or .speed from ok prompt you will get cpu info on the cpu you are acutally on. You can then change to the other cpu and run same commands to get info on that cpu.

In addition, the following commands can be used to examine the CPUs or switch to another CPU:

ok> module-info
ok> processor_number switch-cpu

{0} ok module-info will give you info on cpu0 since you are on that cpu, this is also the cpu the OS will use to boot.

then run {0}ok 1 switch-cpu (hit enter)
This should siwtch you to cpu 1 and you then can run module-info again.

Thanks

ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back