Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Hard drive with installed OS causing problems??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ladin

ISP
Feb 5, 2000
US
Okay, I have a customer that I built a computer for and she wanted to copy some files from her old hard drive in her old computer onto the new computer. This hard drive has 2 OS's installed on it. I installed this hard drive as a slave drive on the secondary IDE channel with the 1st hard drive(the one that I put in there) as the master on the secondary ide channel. This computer ran fine at my house for a full day with no problems at all but once I brought the computer to her house and installed that second drive, now she is having all sorts of weird problems like it won't read the cd-rom sometimes and it won't install programs from the CD, the internet hangs, the internet freezes, weird stuff like that. Is it possible that having another hard drive in the computer with OS's installed on it with other computer hardware drivers etc. on it could be fouling things up?? Any help would be greatly appreciated because this lady is like the customer from hell.

Thanks
Matt Ladin
matchu_14@hotmail.com

Build computers, C++, Tech support for 1 1/2 years, Web Development using MySQL, MINTI, Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, KPT6, Eyecandy4000, Homesite, and of course, HTML.

Does the HD on the Slave/2IDE have an OS on it too? Does the HD with two OSs work when it is by itself? No, freezing, ect... If the Slave/2IDE HD have an OS, does it freeze when it's by itself? I also recommend have the main HD that she will be using, on the First IDE. This depends on whether the HD/line is ATA100. Also, have one HD on Primary/1IDE and the second HD on Primary/2IDE. Having them both on the same segement/line (unless ATA100) can slow the performance down. Especially when copying files and such.

The second hard drive works fine when its in the other computer but once we put it in the new computer i just built the computer is now acting all screwy. We were just copying small files so I wasn't concerned iwth what ide channel it went on but if you think that the 1st hard drive should go on the primary IDE channel that can be fixed. Just out of curiosity, is there an advantage to having the first hard drive on the first ide channel?? Ladin
matchu_14@hotmail.com

Build computers, C++, Tech support for 1 1/2 years, Web Development using MySQL, MINTI, Flash, Dreamweaver, Photoshop, KPT6, Eyecandy4000, Homesite, and of course, HTML.

Also the slave hard drive on ide 2 has an OS on it. Forgot to answer that. Ladin
matchu_14@hotmail.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back