Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Form in database linked to other form

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathie1101

Technical User
Apr 19, 2002
GB
Hi

I have a database set up which I am using to list the products I use & calculate the cost/profit etc for goods I make. The problem I have is that I also then want to be able to enter my customers orders into the database.

My database has the following tables:
Products (raw materials I buy)
Suppliers
Type (Type of goods I am making from the products)
Occassion (i.e Birthday,Christmas etc that my goods are for)
Cards Made (includes fields such as card code, card name, price, type and occassion)
Cards Made Details (includes fields for product, unit price and quantity)

I then have various queries based on the above tables. My form named Cards Made & Cards Made Subform, are based on the queries.

The above all works fine but what I need to be able to do now is have the following:
A table named Orders which will show the customers name & address, order/delivery dates etc. This I can do fine.

A table named Orders Details which will have fields named, CardID, CardCode, CardName, Type, Occassion & Price. I then need to have a form where I can enter the customers details and select the CardCode from a combo box which will then autofill all the other boxes, taking its information from my table/form called Cards Made.

This is where I have the problem I don't really know how to do it. I have tried using a seperate database for my customers & orders and linking the tables from my 1st database, but no matter what I try it doesn't seem to work.

This is the first database I have ever made, so really not sure how to go about it, so if anyone can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Kathie

If the CardCode is all you need to enter to get the information straight, why not just put ONLY the CardCode field within the ORDER DETAILS table, link it to the CardCode field in the CARDS MADE table as a relationship and then provide a button on the order entry form that opens a separate 'MORE DETAILS' form, with that new form containing the additional details you want to see at that time.

In that way, you don't have duplicate information in the database but have access to that information when needed. You can combine all the information into a query later on, for printing the bills and such.

Also, I would separate the customer information from the orders/delivery information, so that you can re-use the customer data quickly for subsequent orders. If you create a CUSTOMERID in this table, it can be the main link to your ORDERS table.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back