Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Exchange server in domain, email delivery problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan010101

Technical User
Jan 24, 2001
US
We have an Exchange 2000 server running. I recently set up a Win2003 box with Exchange 2003, the goal to move everything from the old Exchange server to the new one. I have the new Exchange server running and everything seemed to work. I created a test mailbox on the new server and was able to send from and receive emails to it. So Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2003 were both running on the network, both in the same administrative group. To test further I moved my actual mailbox to the new server. I started up Outlook and was happy to see it was looking to the new server and everything was good. I then started
noticing that emails were not being delivered immediately. It would go for an hour or more with no emails showing up in Outlook, then they all come at once. After I'd receive a batch of emails, I would then receive emails promptly for a bit and then it would stop.

I discovered in the queue of the old server there was an entry for the new server and I could see it had emails in it. Under addition queue infomation it says: "Unable to bind to the destination server in DNS.".
Hitting force connection does nothing. I don't get why it works and then it doesn't. If it just didn't work at all that would make more sense. There is nothing obvious in the event viewer. The only thing questionable was a Kerberos entry below is what it says. MVDNT1 is the
old server, MVDEXC is the new server.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Kerberos
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 9/14/2005
Time: 12:26:35 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MVDEXC
Description:
The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server MVDNT1$. The target name used was SMTPSVC/mvdnt1.musicvideodistributors.net. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named machine accounts in the target realm (MUSICVIDEODISTRIBUTORS.NET), and the client realm. Please contact your system administrator.

Any insight that can be given would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Ryan

Hi!
Here is more info about the error message:

The KERBTRAY.EXE utility (from the support tools) is going to help you in troubleshooting the problem and here is a MS white paper about the steps which you should follow:

forum.gif
NetoMeter

I turned on Kerberos logging and I'm now getting the below error. I've looked through the white paper but I'm not exactly sure how to fix this. So far today my email problem has not happened. I wonder if they are actually related.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Kerberos
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 9/19/2005
Time: 12:33:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: MVDEXC
Description:
A Kerberos Error Message was received:
on logon session
Client Time: