Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Domain Controller DNS Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadgerBrian

Technical User
Apr 5, 2004
US
Hi,

We have setup a 2nd domain controller as a backup to our win2003 domain controller.

We added it to our domain and ran dcpromo to promtote it as a domain controller,

It seems to be working fine except for some strange issues with the dns.

Basically once the dns was setup it can see both domain controllers.
however with regards to the reverse lookup zones on the 2nd domain controler they seem to be all screwy.

The Forweard lookup zones seem to be fine and are picking up everything on our network.

The reverse created 4 subfolders

0.in-addr.arpa
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa
127.in-addr.arpa
255.in-addr.arpa

now when i click on the 1.168.192

it gives me a list of my reverse look up zones -however

they do not show the full IP addrtess
just the last 2 digits

if i go to create a new pointer record - instead of automatically inserting the first 3 parts of the address , its left blank,
if i fill this in with an address , and a host name and apply it
i get a new record, howevr it creates child subfolders for every new pointer i create....

Any Ideas why the correct IP's are not showing up???

If i run the recursive query action against the domain controllers, it comes back passed - so everything is replicating ok...

Also if i look up the 2nd domain controllers reverse look up zone on the first domain controller i can see the full ip and if i go to adda new pointer record, it fills in the first 3 parts of the ip address and doesnt create subfolders

help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back