Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Dial tone questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mangus581

IS-IT--Management
Jan 7, 2005
US
Ok... I just got done installing a PRI at our facility. Previously we were using 8 standard analog phone lines. We could hit the I/C button, dial 9, and there was a distinctive audible switch from an internal dial tone, to an external.

Now that the PRI is setup, I have managed to make it function the same, but that audible distinction is gone. Some users are having a hard time telling that they have an 'outside' line.

What do most people do to make this easiest for the users?

the second dial tone feature was implemented recently ... it is provided by the Norstar and it sounds the same.
Before the SDT I just tell the users "dial 9 and the number" or program 9 on a button and say press the button and dial the number
press intc and dial to call internally

technically speaking they are not on the outside line yet ...
the call is in the routing table

I believe SDT became available on MICS 7.0, and BCM 4.0.

Adversity is Opportunity

How would I go about programming a button for it?

Understood they arent on an outside line yet. I am just trying to help the user perception. Keep in mind, they have had 5-6 years to form this habit...

SDT must have come out in MICS 6.0 or so, as I have it.

If you have it, simply insert the digit 9. Then whenever anyone presses your Dest. Code of 9, it will provide SDT, until they press the next digit.

Adversity is Opportunity

Dewey, I understand all that... if you read my original post, I have it set up. I am just trying to get it to be a little more identifiable if possible.

I've read your original post. Now, I've read it again. You want SDT (Secondary Dial Tone) because you had it before with the analog lines and you don't have it with the PRI.

Now, I didn't think SDT was possible at MICS 6.0, but your telling me you have it. So, under SDT enter the digit "9". What is not understandable about that?

Adversity is Opportunity

He wants the second dial tone to sound different than intercom dial tone. Aint gonna happen.

Your POTS provider may have generated something different than the norm for your dial tone, but both intercom and SDT are industry standard tone, and bluemr2 is right, it can't be changed from that.

Thanks blue, I would have never picked up on that.

Adversity is Opportunity

It was more of a delay between when you hit 9, and when the 2nd dial tone hits is all I would like.

I know I am probably dreaming, I just wasnt sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back