Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2nd Cabinet Myth

Status
Not open for further replies.

irongladiator

Technical User
Dec 11, 2014
US
Hello Fellow NEC Techs,
I was curious, a while back when I was installing SV8100's (2 Cabinet Systems) there was a myth about using the "Supplied Cable" that connects the two systems. The myth was you HAD to use the supplied cable. Seems to me it was just a simple CAT5e cable. I never confirmed whether this was true or not.

I'm installing an NEC SV9100 and am using the GPZ-BS10 and GPZ-BS11. It came with a 4 foot CAT5e cable. Just curious if I'm able to use a custom CAT5e length (In my case a shorter one - 8 inches)

Your thoughts?

Thanks,
-Iron

Hold them side by side and see if there are any differences. If the wires are not color coded, then try one on an IP phone or on your data network. I'm guessing they are standard LAN cables, but I do not have one handy to compare.

Hi belevedere,
The jacket of the Supplied Cable even says "TIA/EIA 568B UTP CAT5e". tells me it is a standard CAT5e cable. The jack themselves are nothing special,the color matches up with modern manufactured patch cables. I also heard if you needed a longer length than the supplied cable, then that was not recommended. But I have heard stories of longer cables working without issue. But again I'm wanting to use a small one (8 inches).

Thanks,
-Iron

Curious to know too.

I'd get it working with the supplied cable and confirm everything on the second chassis is function properly. Shut it down, swap the cable, fire it back up and see if everything still works.

**UPDATE**
I used an 8 inch CAT6 Cable and have thus far NOT run into any issues. I called into NTAC for support on a different issue and while on the call inquired about this. I was informed that if you're wanting to extend the length to a cable that's longer than the supplied cable that you would most likely run into "Timing Issues", what does that mean? I haven't the foggiest, though it sure sounded like something I'd want to avoid.

Thanks,
-Iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back