Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2K Upgrades uninstall Windows Installer

Status
Not open for further replies.

InterestedPerson

Technical User
Nov 15, 2002
US
I was trying to install Service Pack 3 on 2K Pro. I was running MS Office on 2 OS's on the same computer, 98 and 2K Pro. 2K Pro had been reinstalled with a new computer and login name. When I tried to install SP3, Microsoft messed up MS Office (still appeared in Add/Remove Programs) and either disabled or deleted Windows Installer. They also messed up the command prompt to not accept commands. I tried fixing it though the Services utility. I tried reinstalling it (Installer). I tried to use scanreg /restore from the command prompt (no go), I tried rebooting and using "Last Known Good Config", no dice. Anybody got any ideas? This is not the first time Microsoft has sabotaged me. If they'd spend the money and effort on their OS's that they do on this kind of stuff, we'd probably have a pretty good Operating System. I've had to reinstall my entire system twice this week. Any suggestions would be welcome. My email address is ButterflyMaster2002@yahoo.com
Thanks,
Sharon

I didn't understand : w98 and w2k locates on the same HDD partition or on different? If so, it's not good config. ;) use 2 diffrent partitions : 1-FAT32-w98 ; 2-NTFS(or FAT32)-w2kpro. Office Must in any way must be installed under each OS!

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);MCNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back