Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2k Server Extremely Long Logon Times 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiz0fBaud

Technical User
Jul 2, 2003
US
Hey all, we have a small network at work that I’m trying to enhance, and I'm really limited so I figured I would as the pros. When we logon to the local machine, the logon times are horrendous, I mean like 10-15 min to logon and the desktop screen to come up. Does anyone know of any problems/solutions/possibilities? They are all winxp machines on a win2k server.

I extremely appreciate any help.

Mark

When you say logging on to the local machine, do you mean logging on with a local user account, rather than a domain account?

This is pretty common when logging on to the domain, if your DNS settings are not configured right. But if you are logging on as a local user, that would be strange.

If you are logging on to the domain, the client should point to the server for primary DNS. Secondary DNS should be blank, unless there is another server that hosts your Active Directory zone. Do not configure ISP DNS servers anywhere on the clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back