Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2K DC Machine Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

kineticnrgynx

IS-IT--Management
Mar 24, 2003
US
This is simply a DC Machine Swap. Nothing more... but I'm wanting to be sure on the details.

We currently have 3 DC's on our Network (AD integrated Naitive Mode) named SRV2, SRV4, and SRV9, plus all of our other servers.

SRV2 is the server that needs to be upgraded from one Dell Box to a new one.

Now SRV2 is not only our main DC on the network but is also our exchange server. So, This is what I plan to do.

I plan to do a complete backup of SRV2 (including System State) Run a DCpromo to bring the machine down to a regular server. Run another Backup (Including System State) and bring the computer offline.

Then I plan to install 2k Adv. Serv on the new machine. Run the system state restore that I just ran after I Did the DC promo to bring the old machine donwn.

Then I'll run the DC promo on the new machine to bring it back up to DC status.

How does that sound? Does that sound like a good procedure? Or would there be a better way to do this? Or if you know of any articles to help me out with this... I would greatly appreciate it. (Also, I'm wanting to keep the name and IP address of the old server on the new server.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back