Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2channel megaraid with tape unit on 2nd channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

damjanster

Technical User
Mar 1, 2005
SI
We have a RHEL 4 installed on a server with 320-2E megaraid scsi controller. The iButton (RAID KEY) is installed, so we could configure raid5 with 3 disks.
It's a 2 channel controller, so we've used the first channel for scsi backplane and disks, while there's a tape drive on the second channel. I can not perform a good backup - it sometimes blocks the whole machine, other times the backup process just dies. Here is what the /proc/scsi/scsi puts out:
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD 0 RAID5 138G Rev: 515H
Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 04 Id: 08 Lun: 00
Vendor: SDR Model: GEM318P Rev: 1
Type: Processor ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 05 Id: 04 Lun: 00
Vendor: SEAGATE Model: DAT DAT72-000 Rev: A050
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 03

Am I reading this correctly - is my linux seeing the tape unit on the same scsi channel? As I recall, the adaptecs and mylexes showed a different scsi host for each channel. So I should have the tape unit on scsi1. I will try to perform backup with another scsi host adapter, just to have the data on a safe place. Can this issue be resolved?

Have you ever wondered why a standard SCSI adapter has a bunch of modifiable parameters, and a raid adapter does not. Raid adapters are design for disks, they are not designed for tape units. Your lucky if a tape unit (or machine) is stable on a raid adapter. Right now your tape and disks are on the same channel, which spells disaster

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back