Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2950T-24 rate limiting - can ANYONE solve this mystery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

remik2020

ISP
Nov 3, 2003
US
I've been looking for a switch that would allow us to do rate limiting on web servers and after talking to a Cisco pre-sales guy, we bought the 2950T 24 port model with Enhanced IOS (standard IOS does not support rate limiting at all).

After plugging it in and running some tests, it appears that rat elimiting is in place, but will only allow a minimum of 1mbps rate, and up to 100mbps. Is there no way to implement a 128kbps, 256kbps, etc, rates, lower than 1mbps? The Cisco pre-sales guy was asked explicitly about this and assured me that 2950T with Enhanced IOS would do it, no problem. I've search this forum and many other web sites, but can't find anything to prove or disprove whether this particular switch will work the way we need it to.

At the same time, even setting the rate limit to 1mbps creates no noticeable difference - MRTG still reports traffic as being way above the 1mbps limit and does not show the "bandwidth cap" red line at the 1mbps mark like it should.

Ideas? Suggestions? Someone suggested the 3550 model, but it's insane to go from a $1000 to $5000 switch just for rate limiting below 1mbps - and again, with no assurance from anyone that it will do that any differently than the 2950T.

Does ANYONE know anything about this gear? Heck, I can't get Cisco to say yes or no anymore, they are completely useless in their pre-sales tech department.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back