Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2950 switches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2001
I have 5 2950 switches among the 70 odd switches on my network. Several times a day they will all lose connectivity and regain it within a few seconds. They seem to do this in unison. None of my other switches do this. I have 2916s, 2924s, and a few Procurves.

I had (still have?) the exact same problem. On all my SX (short haul) connections I had to force "trunking on dot1q" at the distribution switches.

It stopped happening to those ones, now it only happens (still several times a day) on my LX(long haul) connections.

If I cant find a fix, Im going to have to replace the LX access switches with 35xx's as the cluster master.

Sounds like a spanning tree problem. Are you running spanning-tree on all your switches? It might be that one of your fiber links goes down causing spanning-tree to open another link away from blocking mode. Then when the link comes back up, your spanning tree doesn't propogate fast enough to block the port.

Make sure all your switches are running spanning tree if you are using loops.

There are some know problems with Cisco 2950s, depending on the IOS version.
12.0(5.3) - Re-boots when "snmp get" used on switch
12.1(9) - Spanning tree packets, lost all 2950s do STP update & each switch tries to become vlan root. (I fixed it by turning VTP pruning ON)

Hi.... I have problem in Cisc0 2950, the device already done set IP Addrs and subnet mask on Vlan1, My problem is computer in area VLan1 can not ping to the device but can ping to Vlan2.

thank's for your help

what switches are you using in the core? Also, there are differences between the defaults on 2950's opposed to the other switches you mention e.g. uplinkfast etc...
Let me know,
Cheers,
Phil.

If everything is coming your way then you're in the wrong lane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back