Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2950 slow no matter what I try

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmforever

Programmer
May 26, 2003
US
I have a simple configuration 4 T-1's on a 3640, the inside interface feeds the PIX 515E which hooks to a 2950-24. I have numerous Web Servers, Email Servers, DNS Servers and Monitoring Workstations on the 2950. When I do backups from the Web and Email Servers to the Workstations the transfer is very slow, about 10-12 mbs. I am running 1 Vlan and have all ports on the switch and servers set to 100 Full. When I check for errors on the interfaces it shows 0 for all except an occasional CRC. I have tried enable on spanning-tree backbonefast, ip route-cache on and off with no noticable change in speeds. Is there some magical trick in making the 2950 pass a reasonable amount of data or is the 2950 just a dog? Please help no hair left.

3 things to check would be:

1. Speed & Duplex - I know everyone goes on about this but it is the usual cause and set incorrectly can 'hide' errors. Make sure you are either forcing both speed & duplex at the Server/Device end and also the Switch port.

2. Multicast traffic. The 2950's have IGMP snooping enabled by default to constrain IP multicast traffic. If you have a lot of muticast traffic (ie VRRP, routing protocol traffic etc) then the 2950 may be wasting time trying to deal with that.

3. IOS Software revision. The current release of 2950 software is 12.1(19)EA1. It may be worth checking that the version you are running doesn't have any known bugs relating to performance. Check on CCO for the release notes.

Andy

Make sure all your connections are coming in at 100/full . Do a show int status and this will tell you how they look to the switch , if for some reason one of servers came in at 10/half or 100/half this is going to slow things down considerably . Seeing your connections are all on 1 switch your speeds should not be slow , we have a number of these on our network and have not seen any complaints yet on the performance , if you want to post your config with bogus addresses we can take a look and see if we see anything .

I found the problem, it was a NIC on one of the servers.
Thanks for your help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back