Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924XL Making Noises?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtDawg

IS-IT--Management
Apr 17, 2002
JP
Hello all looking for ideas,

I have a Cisco 2924XL switch that has started to make noises? I am unsure if it is hardware going bad or what can anyone give me any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Hi

At the risk of sounding facetious, what sort of noises?

The only moving part is a fan, and if that is noisy it may be about to fail. If it does the switch may overheat and fail totally, so a hardware fix is required for the fan.

The only other things that make a noise are the power supply, which may again be about to fail so needing a hardware fix, or possibly 'crackles' from a poor contact on the mains lead/receptacle as AC enters the switch. Reseat/clean this to fix.

EB

The noise was a hissing sound almost like a tire going flat type of thing. Last night I shutdown the switch and did a little bit of cleaning to it. At this time it sounds ok. Maybe I should start looking at a backup for the Switch?

Probably just a dust ball in the fan. I'd keep an eye on the fan from time to time to make sure it is still spinning.

Well just to let you know our 2924's have a 10 yr parts replacement. Not sure if this was standard or was extra. Anyway I had a fan go bad a few weeks ago in one of my 2924's. Cisco promptly sent me a whole new switch.

Ok I took some advice and shut down the Switch on Sat. San Kinda cleaned it out. It was working fine until today. It started to self reboot itself for about an hour hour and half. On the second or third reboot, the switch would lock up. I have looked through the logs nothing is there. Does anyone have any ideas on where I can find the reasons why it was rebooting or how I can monitor it?

Thanks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back