Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924XL Creating 2 VLANS 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UNIX72

IS-IT--Management
Sep 8, 2000
US
Hello i have a situation on my lan. I have windows pc and unix pc. I want to seperate their traffic by creating 2 broadcast domains. I heard you need a router to route traffic out of each vlan. I do have a 1604R router w/ 1 ethernet port. If both vlans need to access the same server which vlan should i put the server in? Could someone show me a config? Thank you [sig][/sig]

If your going to set up vlans a would suggest in purchasing a catalyst 1900 .
The 1604 router I believe will not work for this application . Check out Cisco.com for more information ... [sig][/sig]

I do have a 2924XL switch. I mentioned the router because i thought you need a router to work with vlans [sig][/sig]

Hello, UNIX72.

To answer your question, put your server on the same VLAN as the majority of your clients. Your goal should be to keep as much traffic as possible on one VLAN. What you are doing is building what's called a "one armed router"; that is, a router with a single LAN port connected to two (or more) vlans. I'm sorry that I don't have a config for you as don't work with the 1600's, but your steps should be:

1. Create the two vlans on the switch
2. Create two subinterfaces on the router
3. Trunk both VLANS to the router on the switch port
4. Collect big fat bonus check from boss for being the hero

Things to watch out for:

1. Trunk types should be the same flavor (ISL, 802.1q etc..)on the switch and the router
2. Make sure your router has enough memory (Cisco recommends a minimum of 4mb flash and 12mb dram for this model)for IP only routing
3. Make sure your VLAN numbers match your sub-interfaces on the router

If you need more help, give me a shout via e-mail.

Good Luck.

John [sig]<p>John Kowalski<br><a href=mailto:john.kowalski@eds.com>john.kowalski@eds.com</a><br>[/sig]

Thanks ill get back with you on vacation [sig][/sig]

Trunk ports need to be 100Mbps. If I'm not mistaken, 1604 is 10 Mbps. May have to put off that fat bonus check. [sig][/sig]

So i cant created vlans with a 10Mbps port on my router? [sig][/sig]

I mean would it still work with a 10Mbps e0. Thanks [sig][/sig]

That is correct, you must use a fast ethernet port if you want to do trunking.
Ways to perform routing between your vlans from best to worst:
1) Fastethernet port trunking.
2) Dual ethernet port router. one port in each vlan.
3) This one's nasty but it works. If you've got another router laying around, crossover between the routers on the serial interfaces, one router's ethernet residing on each vlan.
[sig][/sig]

Hi

You can create 2 vlans on the switch, then place the router on a port configured for both vlans (there is an option for this under the switchport command on the switch) and then configure 2 ip addresses on the eth port (with the secondary suffix)

works like a charm

Arie [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back