Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924 Switch to ADSL Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Technical User
Feb 19, 2001
US
I have a dsl connection coming in to my home. The dsl line will go into the modem then the ethernet connection on back of the modem will go straight to my hub and was able to share the connection will other pc's on my lan, but now im using a cisco 2924 switch and when i try to connect the modem ethernet port to the switch i get no activation lights at all. I try straight and crossover cable's but no luck. Is there something I need to enable on the switch to make it work. I got my hub to work by enabling mdix button which work fine, please help, thanks.

Some DSL providers bind the computer's MAC address to the service but I always thought that was at a higher layer. Will your hub make a connection to the same switchport? Try fiddling with the speed/duplex settings.
-Jeff ----------------------------------------
Wassabi Pop Tarts! Write Kellogs today!

I tried everything so far, changed duplex and speed settings, wire no luck. Works fine with my hub

What kind of DSL modem are you using, I've had problems with the voltage comming out of my Fujitsu/Orckit modems, high quality network equipment will not link directly. Try pluging the modem ---> Hub ---> 2924 and if that works its probably the port on your DSL modem. Try replacing the modem with another or if you are useing a Alcatel/ATM bassed DSLM then use a cisco modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back