Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924-SFP Plus Noise level

Status
Not open for further replies.

seudonimo

Technical User
Jul 26, 2005
GB
I have just received two "3Com Baseline 2924 24 Port Gigabit SFP Plus Switch" units. My concern, having commissioned the first, is the noise level. A fan runs continuously. It's difficult to quantify a noise level, but it's louder than any computer fan I've ever encountered, except when the fan was failing.

It won't be acceptable for the planned environment (in a normal office, under a desk), but I'd like to understand whether this is an abnormal unit. Of course, I could open the other one, but that may affect my ability to return it.

If this is normal for this class of unit, can anyone recommend an alternative (managed switch) which is quiet in use?

Thanks in advance!

Call 3COM tech support and talk to them.

From your description that fan sounds way to loud and maybe defective and 3COM should replace the unit, or check with the supplier where you purchased the units. But they may refer you to 3COM anyway.

FYI, I would not put a switch under a desk unless it was mounted in a way that would not block airflow to keep the unit safe and cool. Looking under most desks, I would not put any switch there, people stacking junk and kicking the hardware, getting cords tangled, etc. A safety hazzard to say the least, and not good for the network!

....JIM....

All my 3com switches have loud fans!
gr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back