Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2924 and HSRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ver17

Technical User
Sep 24, 2004
US
Can a Cisco 2924 switch support a dual HSRP connection?

Sure it can just point your default gateway for the 2924 to the virtual hsrp address .

Can someone either give me an example of a "virtual hsrp address" or point me in the right direction. I am having trouble finding any documentation on this one. Thank you in advance.... and Happy New Year :)

Actualy let me ask the question thats confusing me which might clear this up a bit....

You say to "point your default gateway to the virtual hsrp address". Does not HSRP use two connections to two seperate routers? Do both routers use the same "virtual hsrp address"? I just want to clear this up because in my mind two conenctions can't have the same IP, thats all.

Another question.... do I have to have some specific setting for the ports that the HSRP are connection too on the 2924 switch? Or do I simply plug them in anywhere?

Its three IP address and 3 MAC address. There is an IP on each router/switch with the third used for the "virtual" interface. Each interface has a MAC and Cisco assigns a virtual MAC to the virtual interface. It's a specific MAC address so in a sniffer trace, you can easily see it.

One side of the HSRP pair is always at idle. That is the downside to HSRP and that is one half is wasted. But, if you get clever using HSRP groups and watch the groups instead of the devices, you can have both routers/switch active and still waiting for the failover.

The switches will need to be able to exchange a "heartbeat" or "keep alive" message between themselves.

R1--IPA------|
VIRTUAL-INTERFACE-IPC--------LAN or WAN
R2--IPB------|

The users never see the real IP A or B, only C.

MikeS

Find me at
"Take advantage of the enemy's unreadiness, make your way by unexpected routes, and attack unguarded spots."
Sun Tzu

Thanks for the info :)

One more question....

If I have two completly different sets of IP address each with their own Gateway IP's, how can I assign two different gateways to one Cisco 2924 switch? By using VLANs?

Sorry for the dumb questions. It has been a while since I worked with these but it is all coming back to me slowly. I just need to clear some basic concept questions. Or maybe I just need to know if I am heading in the right direction.

You can not set more than one default gateway on the 2924, remember this address and gateway is to manage the 2924 and has nothing to do whether you put multiple vlans or ip addresses trunked down to the 2924 , the ip address is for switch management only as this is a layer 2 device only .

So a Cisco 2924XL can not have two different sets of IP's that use two different networks?

I am given 2 IP groups from my co-lo such as:

68.39.245.4-14
and
69.58.6.132-158

I can't use all of these at the same time with this swtich? Will I need two individual switches to do this? Right now a single 5000 is doing the job but I need to swap it out with a more compact 1U switch tomorrow.

If you tell me I can, then I will find out how, but to say no I can't, will mean I have to scramble to find another solution ASAP :)

If you have a newer 8 meg 2924 you can trunk multiple vlans down to the 2924. You appear to be getting confused between sending multiple vlans to the 2924 and the ip address and gateway that is used to manage the 2924 . In order to do this you need a layer 3 device above the 2924 that is able to trunk which you must have already if you are running multiple vlans to the 5000 . The 5000 has the same setup the SC0 management interface is for manageing the 5000 only also . You should be able run your 2 vlans to the 2924 if it is a 8 meg box . Doing a show version will tell you this , also if you have the ability and a cisco account I would upgrade to the latest release which is 12.0.5WC10 . The switch would need an address from one of your 2 address spaces and the default gateway would be the layer3 router interface address in order to be able to telnet to the switch to manage it .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back