Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2811's not sending Fan failure traps

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciag

IS-IT--Management
Nov 27, 2008
IE
Hello folks,

I have 4 out of 240+ Cisco 2811's that have fan failures. I am receiving Syslog messages from the 4 machines about the fan failures but not traps. I have traps enabled so that they should be sending out envmon traps. I am receivng other traps from the same devices relating to link up/down info but not envmon stuff.

I have entered the command string
snmp-server enable traps envmon
which should enable all envmon traps.

I have also done a traffic capture on the inbound interface of the Trap server to see if the messages were being dropped, but this is not the case.

Anyone got any suggestions for a solution?

Regards

Ciag

Do a debug snmp packets and see if the router is actually sending the traps for envmon, otherwise check whatever tool you are using to monitor those and see if it is set to accept those traps . Command looks right for envir. traps .

Hi vipergg,

yeah I ran the debug on one of the devices with the fan failure. I ran it for over ten minutes and didn't see a single SNMP trap being sent. Our trap server also has an SNMP polling engine and I could see the get requests and get responses from that alright.

I even disabled polling of the device I was monitoring just to clear up the log and as soon as I did I didn't see any more relevant SNMP info in the log. Could this be a bug in the IOS or something?

I'm attempting to use the bug toolkit on cisco.com but I'm currently waiting on access rights to be added to my cisco.com account before I can use it.

Other than that I'm fairly stumped on this one.

Just a follow up on this. I have since discovered that Cisco IOS Versions previous to 12.4(4)T do not support ciscoEnvMonFanNotification which explains why I'm not seeing the traps on some of my devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back