Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

278 x12 Transaction - HL segment

Status
Not open for further replies.

coulter

Programmer
May 23, 2003
US
Hello,
This will be my first post, so please forgive me if I don't do it quite right.
I work for a group of hospitals and I've been supporting our supply chain EDI system for over 10 years.
Recently, however, I was asked to map a transaction I have no experience with - the 278 (Heath Care Services Review)- so the data and segments are all new to me. Well, with DISA documentation I've been able to figure out nearly all of the segments (I might post another question or two). I also have some documentation from the insurance company, but it is incomplete.
The one thing I find most confusing is the HL segment and loop; I'm just not sure how it gets used. The data to be sent includes NM1 loops for the insurance company, for us, the subscriber, the patient, and one or more for the doctors involved. Do each of those NM1 loops get put within a separate HL loop, or do they usually all go together within one HL loop (one per admission)? Sorry if this seems a stupid question, but it just isn't clear to me from the resources I have at hand. If someone knows where I can peruse a sample of a 278, that would also be a big help.
Finally, a *big* thank you to any and all who offer assistance.

essentially the HL loops identify Heirarchical relationships if loops. I don't have my document with me so I may have slightly in accurate info for you...

The HL segment consists of 4 elements. The first (HL01) = the HL loop you are in, HL02 = the value of the parent HL loop referred to in a higher level HL element 01, HL03 = the type of HL loop you are working in and the last... Well it's been a while and, again I don't have my implementation guide with me this weekend.

Hope that little bit helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back