Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2610 - lost flash, booting to romon>

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdeane

IS-IT--Management
Sep 21, 2001
GB
I have a 2610 which has had it's flash erased in the past and now constantly boots to the romon> prompt.

Can I tftp a copy of the flash from another 2610 and use xmodem to transfer it to the erased router or will this just corrupt things more.

If not how do I get a copy of the correct .bin file as when I try to look on Cisco's web site all the IOS software is password protected.

Any help would be appricated.

Thanks

Jonathan

To download an IOS from the Cisco site you must have a CCO login.
First check to see if you have a valid IOS on your router:
rommon> dir flash:
if so, try and boot from this:
rommon> boot flash:<filename>
if not, you need to get a valid IOS on your PC/laptop, plug into the console port on the router and use xmodem:
rommon> xmodem <filename>
and follow the instructions.
Before you do that I would increase the speed of the console port otherwise the transfer will take a very long time at 9600bps, to do this, do:
rommon> confreg
answer Y to 'do you want to change the config', and then select the 115200bps rate, you then need to reset or power cycle the router for the new speed to come into effect.

I have tried the dir flash: cmd and the following is displayed:

rommon 1 > dir flash:
device does not contain a valid magic number
dir: cannot open device &quot;flash:&quot;
rommon 2 >

If I tftp the flash from another like router to my pc and then xmodem it across, would this correct my problem.

Thanks

Jonathan

Get an IOS from another like router on your PC and do as I've said above,when xmodem has downloaded the IOS you will get a message, then check it's ok
rommon> dir flash:
then reset the router or boot from flash
rommon> reset
OR
rommon>boot flash:<IOS filename>

I am attempting the same, where does the image need to reside inorder for the router to be able to download the image ? MCSE,MCSA,MCP+i,MCP

I can't quite remember how I did it myself, but I think I tftp'ed a working copy from another router to a pc and then uploaded it onto the router I was having trouble with, to the same location and file name as the working one

Jonathan

The fastest way is to set the following in rommon:

IP_ADRESS=
IP_SUBNET_MASK=
Default_gateway=
tftp_server=
TFTP_FILE=

(these are case sensitive)

then issue the &quot;tftpdnld&quot; command and view your set options. make sure you have a connection to a tftp server on your 1st lan interface and go with you transfer.

if you have no lan connection use xmodem but you may want to change your console speeds within the &quot;confreg&quot; command. if you change these make sure you change your terminal window and change it back to 9600 when you are done. By changing this option you can cut you load time to 20 min not 1hr 20 min on a 10mb IOS.

Yep - the way to do it is like ICeYGe36 explained. X modem is a waste of time, and should only be done if you are unable to get an ethernet connection (make sure to use a crossover cable if directly connected from the router to the pc. Of course you need a good IOS image, and to download the image you need a cco login.

Geyybecca - if you use the tftp download method, which is the 1 hour + saving method, you must have a tftp server program on your computer. you can download that free from either cisco(might need a cco login again) or from downloads.com. with in the tftp program you set the directory to the path where the IOS image will be located on your computer. Remember, when doing a Rommon flash reload, you must input everything exactly. here is an example:

rommon 3 > set
PS1=rommon ! >
IP_ADDRESS=172.18.16.76
IP_SUBNET_MASK=255.255.255.192
DEFAULT_GATEWAY=172.18.16.65
TFTP_SERVER=172.18.16.2
TFTP_FILE=quake/rel22_Jan_16/c2600-i-mz

for the file name I always do a rename on the file, copy, and paste to the interface rather than type it and chance a mistake.

brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back