Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

256 colours? where has it gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxy01

Technical User
Jun 12, 2003
NZ
Hi,

I have a windows 98 tiny PC, purchased in 1999,nothing has been upgraded or replaced,

I ran the back to factory settings CD, since then I am only able to display 16 colours, their is no option for 256, I can either have 16 or 2!!

I have run the driver update search on the net looking for updates, it reports that their is no newer driver for the graphics card, or am I going down the wrong road with drivers?

any advice\help would be appreciated.

Thanks

First, make sure you aren't booting into Safe Mode which is restricted to 16 colors. If in normal mode, then the problem is video card drivers. Either it's corrupt or you don't have the proper one installed.

Find out what video card you have and visit the manufacturer's website for drivers (if it's still around). If you can't find any, post back with the make/model of the graphics chip. To find out what you have, you can use a utility like belarc advisor which can be found for free at

~cdogg
[tab]"All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind";
[tab][tab]- Aristotle
[tab][navy]For general rules and guidelines to get better answers, click here:[/navy] faq219-2884

Hi..

Have you checked on the recovery CD for a drivers directory.
They sometimes have them on a 2nd CD

Yes, it's definitely a driver problem. There used to be a program around called "unknown device identifier" which would tell you the make/model/serial of each hardware component, then I usually went to to find the driver for it.

Eric VanLandingham
The Bargain Monkey

a bolder move would be to open the cpu casing, check visually the brand and model of your video card and use that as a search string in google. ex. GeForce2 MX 100/200 driver. download then install.

hope this helps. peace! [peace]

kilroy [trooper]
philippines

"Illegitimis non carborundum!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back