Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2511 term server console freeze?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HUANGDI

Technical User
Dec 30, 2002
US
I have a 2511 that boot fine with this message and then the console freezes: OS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-C-L), Version 12.3(18), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 16-Mar-06 00:19 by dchih
*Mar 1 00:01:10.963: %SNMP-5-COLDSTART: SNMP agent on host BURNS-2511-16 is und
ergoing a cold start

Any comments and or fixes, please???????????

HUANGDI,

Just a thought - are you running MAX 16 DRAM and 16 FLASH on that 2511?

Did you just get this router and that is what is happening?

Has it ever run ok?

Have you made ANY changes to the router?

What has changed since last time it ran good?

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

CiscoGuy33,

Yes it has 16/16. I haven't used it in about 5 months, just getting back into it. I just don't remember it being changed??? Also, it DOES respond when I plug in the ethernet; up when plugged in and down when out, but that's it. Any suggestions??????/ I thought about getting into rom and taking a look around.

Thanks

CiscoGuy33

Here is the info:

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software
IOS (tm) 2500 Software (C2500-C-L), Version 12.3(18), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: Copyright (c) 1986-2006 by cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 16-Mar-06 00:19 by dchih
Image text-base: 0x03057BCC, data-base: 0x00001000

cisco 2511 (68030) processor (revision K) with 14336K/2048K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID 01502442, with hardware revision 00000000
Bridging software.
X.25 software, Version 3.0.0.
SuperLAT software (copyright 1990 by Meridian Technology Corp).
TN3270 Emulation software.
1 Ethernet/IEEE 802.3 interface(s)
2 Serial network interface(s)
16 terminal line(s)
32K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
16384K bytes of processor board System flash (Read ONLY

The IOS you are running does not seem to be "buggy" although there is a huge FTP exploit for it! I could be wrong though.. Here is a post where someone had the same issue.. You may want to ensure that SNMP is setup correctly... (Scroll to bottom)

B Haines
CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

Hi Maczen,

Thanks for the info. I think that I will try to get into rmon mode and edit the permameters, just have to remmember the rmon commands.

Thanks

Billy,

I just can't think of anything in this one - if he had just loaded the 12.3 IOS I would say that was an issue, I had a 2514 that I put a 12.3 firewall IOS on and it crawled slower than a dial up connection :) And it was MAXED 16/16!!!

But that happened right away - no doubt what the issue was .... It just did not like that IOS or something else that I just did not have time for since I got a 2651XM for home shortly after that!

Did you ever say if it EVER worked ok?

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

No, he said that he didn't 'remember'. I am also not sure (but doubt) that this is a production router so not sure if he is trying to use SNMP. Did see some posts (and linked to one) with similar issues that said to either ensure that SNMP is set up correctly or either turn it off.

If this is not production equipment then I would wipe the configuration and reload the router to see if that corrects the issue. I am not very familiar with SNMP at this point (will play with it in the future) but it sounds as if that could cause the problem... honestly not sure... Would be a good place to start with a lab router hanging on an SNMP config...

B Haines
CCNA Security, CCNA R&S, ETA FOI

MACZEN,

No it's not production; just a test bed. Someone prior may have configd snmp traps. I just want to get into it and reconfigure, but as I said it doesn't resond or I am not using the correct key stokes. No problem to wipe it, just need to get in first???????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back