Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2505 router/hub, hub not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSupportEngineer

Technical User
Aug 2, 2005
US
Hi all,
I have a 2505 I had been using in a lab. I had kept it because it has an IOS Enterprise version on it so it has been useful for practice. Haven't used it lately and when I boot it up, the hub light doesn't come on where the ethernet cable is plugged in. I have enabled the ethernet interface (ether0) and given the no shutdown command for the 5 hub ports, but none come on (as I switch the cable from port to another). I have all ports on autopolarity and link-test. Forgot my thumbkey with the config, but will post it tomorrow if I still can't get them to work. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Here's the e0 interface and config:

Enterprise10#sho int e0
Ethernet0 is up, line protocol is up , using hub 0
Hardware is Lance, address is 0000.0c47.8bba (bia 0000.0c47.8bba)
Internet address is 192.168.14.2, subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec, rely 255/255, load 1/255
Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set, keepalive set (10 sec)
ARP type: ARPA, ARP Timeout 4:00:00
Last input never, output 0:00:09, output hang never
Last clearing of "show interface" counters never
Output queue 0/40, 0 drops; input queue 0/75, 0 drops
5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec
0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer
Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants
0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort
0 input packets with dribble condition detected
55 packets output, 4863 bytes, 0 underruns
0 output errors, 0 collisions, 1 interface resets, 0 restarts
Enterprise10#

Enterprise10#sho configuration
Using 895 out of 32762 bytes
!
version 10.2
service config
service udp-small-servers
service tcp-small-servers
!
hostname Enterprise10
!
enable secret 5 $1$I8m5$hUj4PfCjzzHmfG0XuWT5f/
enable password class
!
!
hub ether 0 1
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 2
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 3
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 4
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 5
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 6
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 7
link-test
auto-polarity
!
hub ether 0 8
link-test
auto-polarity
!
interface Ethernet0
ip address 192.168.14.2 255.255.255.0
no mop enabled
!
interface Serial0
ip address 172.16.0.2 255.255.0.0
!
interface Serial1
no ip address
shutdown
!
router rip
network 192.168.14.0
!
router igrp 1
network 192.168.2.0
!
ip route 192.168.1.40 255.255.255.255 Ethernet0
!
!
line con 0
exec-timeout 0 0
line aux 0
transport input all
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login
!
end

Enterprise10#

What is the other end of the cable plugged into? Give a lot more details...topology, configurations...

Burt

Burt,
The router is connected to a workstation via the console cable. It is also connected from one of the router ports to the workstation network card via a crossover cable. I know the crossover is good because I saved IOSs to the TFTP server on the workstation the same night. This is for practice saving configs and IOSs to and from a TFTP server. Saving 2501's (w/a tranceiver) works fine.

If you have nothing plugged into the hub ports, then the light won't light up.

Burt

TSupportEngineer,

You said - "It is also connected from one of the router ports to the workstation network card via a crossover cable." I have not used my 2505 or 2507 in more than a year but don't you use a straight through cable when attaching a PC to the "hub" - I know I do when I attach a PC to a Cisco Fast 400 hub or a Cisco Cat 1924 switch.

Just some thoughts!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

PC -> PC = Crossover
PC -> Router = Crossover
Sw/Hub -> PC/Router = Straight Through
Sw/Hub -> Sw/Hub = Crossover

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

DallasBPF,

Thanks - I know that :) but since it is a hub built into the router and is really designed for attaching work stations, almost like a switch module in 2600/3600 router I was thinking that it would use a straight through as you would in a stand alone hub.

I need to blow the dust off mine and fire it up and do some playing :)

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Gene---you are absolutely correct. I think...read below...

TSupportEngineer---you are still being unclear...is there a workstation plugged into the hub port with an IP address in the 192.168.14.0/24 range with a straight-through cable? You say you tftp'd the IOS from a 2501 with a crossover (pc directly plugged into the router), which is correct, but the hub module needs a straight-through cable if plugged into a pc (I could be wrong...can't think of why Cisco would make a module that requires crossovers like that---the 800 series have switch modules, which require straight-thru cables, but if this is truly a hub module, layer 1, then you may need a crossover). Can you ping the ethernet interface of the router? If so, don't worry about the lights. They're not exactly a very good troubleshooting tool anyway, nor are they necessarily a good indication all the time that all is well. If you can ping, then it works!

Burt

Burt, CiscoGuy, and Dallas,
Thanks for your help. The workstation orginally was connected via console cable to several 2501's. In addition to practice (and backup) IOS transfers, the e0 port of the router(s) was connected to a NIC through a tranceiever and a straight-through cat5 cable. I could ping from both the workstation (192.168.14.1 255.255.255.0) to the router (192.168.14.2 255.255.255.0) and back. The IOS transfers went through successfully. When I switched to the 2505 the workstation and router could ping themselves but not each other. The connectivity light on the NIC was on. I made sure all the ports on the hub were not shutdown (hub ether 0 1 8 no shutdown) but still no joy.
Last night I used the setup command to clear everything (though it still tries to load a config from a network connection - haven't been able to stop that - it does load any new config I add)and during the setup said "yes" to enabling all the ports. Again, no joy. The ports did work from the time I got the router, and all I remember having to do was to do a no shutdown on each, which I tried again w/no luck. I believe this is a port/interface problem. Does any of this help? Thanks again.

Hello
Maybe it's a auto duplex problem.Also post a "show ver" could be an caveat in the IOS.I have one of these router at home,when I hook it up for the first time the ports was given me problems as well.Can't remember how I fix it.Will take a look at it to see if I can come up with something.
Regards

Something I forgot, tried both straight through and crossover with the hub, still no good and no lights. I will post the version tonight.Thanks.

Hello
I just run my 2505 through a test.The leds light-ip only when you have traffic.To test the hub hook-ip a PC to any port and use the same subnet as the E0 interface make sure that the PC negogiates 10MB.Then try to ping the router interface.You can also use the port as a pure hub by connecting 2 workstation and pinging between them.
Regards

Minue---crossover or straight-through?
Also, tssupportengineer---have you tried the 2501 to the 2505 yet?

Burt

Hi Burt
That would be straight-through for the PC!As for Router to Router will try it out this evening.
Regards

Hi All,
First, thanks for all your help, it is always appreciated. Got everything working now, after removing and reinstalling the NIC from the workstation configuration. That worked. I started again w/a 2501 and was able to copy the flash imaage to the tftp server (the old Cisco TFTP server program). Then I plugged in the 2505 and it transferred the IOS no problem. It was interesting because the NIC worked fine when I accessed the Web on it (yes, I reconfigured the NIC to a manual IP address and rebooted when I used it again for xferring IOSs) - did this a few times with the 2501's and had no problems. In any event, something was configured wrong, yet I could transfer from the 2501s yet not the 2505 or my 2507's immediately after (no NIC configuration changes).
What WAS interesting is that apparently the port LEDs do not come on unless there is traffic, which I did not remember to be the case when I first acquired them from eBay years ago and tested them. Good call, Minue!
Thanks again everyone, back to studying for re-certifying my CCNA. TSupportEngineer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back