Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2501 with 2 serial interfaces DCE/DTE question

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanHFT

MIS
Jan 15, 2009
US
I have a 2501 router that has 2 serial interfaces that are connected to 2 2600 series routers. My question; is it possible to set the clock rate on both interfaces or am I only able to set it to the one interface, with the other interface acting as the DTE for the other router....I hope to show what I mean by the following
{R1}{R2}{R3} == Routers

I want it to be like...this

{R1}DCE------{R2}
DCE
|
|
|
{R3}

but is the only way to hook it up like.....this?

{R1}DCE-------{R2}
|
|
|
DCE
{R3}

DCE of course being the clock set on those serial interfaces.

I hope this is clear, probably not but I guess I will find out by the questions that follow

Thanks

If R1 is your Cisco 2501 router, then you can definitely do either setup. The only thing to note is that the maximum clock rate will be 4000000 bits per sec for the two DCE interfaces on it. This is the maximum clock rate on the 2500 series.

HTH

-Viconsul.

R1 is the 2501, R2 and R3 are 2600 routers. Thanks viconsul.

burtsbees, what do you mean 1.536?

BatmanHFT,

He is just talking about what a WIC-1T supports, check the link -

2500 will work fine with DCE end of cable on both serial ports - people have been setting it up this way to take advantage of the 2500 as a Frame Relay switch in labs for years!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

1.536MBps speed/throughput---clock rate of 4000000 sets it to 4MBps, but it is only capable of 1.536. This is what I was commenting on...sorry.
I use a 2503 as a frame switch in my lab, with 2620's connected to it.

Burt

I thank you all who replied, I found my issue, it was on R3, complete user error, there was a config set on the interface, removed everything and started from scratch, works perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back