Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2501 and 2503 DHCP from a cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpapanik

Technical User
Mar 20, 2002
US
Hello all,

I have two routers a 2501 and a 2503 connected back to back with the HDLC cable on Serial 0. I would like my 2501 to get an IP address from the cable modem and then move the traffic via the serial port to the 2503 where as that would be connected to the rest of the network via ethernet. My 2501 is running 12.1 version of IOS which has the DHCP command however I cannot do it for some reason. I was wondering whether you could please give me some advice as how to do this. I am really stumped and I have been working on this problem for some time now. Thank you in advance.

what you need to do is go into the interface config, and I believe the command is 'ip address dhcp' and it will cause the interface to get its IP address via dhcp from your cable modem. it thats not the command, its very close.

"ip address dhcp" but I had to upgrade to 12.2 to get it to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back