Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2501 / 2507 - Router Home Use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSTEFANICK

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2005
US
Can either one of these routers be hooked up to a cable modem for home use? The 2501 has the AUI which I have hooked up to the network adapter. The 2507 has a internal hub... thanks

Sorry, Neither of those routers have WAN Ports. The 2500 has the AUI and the two serials. The 2507 does have a internal hub, but it is actually on one interface, just repeater ports.

So, No a 2507 and a 2501 cannot be used as gateway routers with your cable modem, you need to have two interfaces.

you could do a back to back config, it would work then
but you would be limiting your speed most likely..

2507 be your internal box, serial link to 2501, cable modem connected to eth 0 on 2501..

BuckWeet

the 2514 has two ethernets. im usng one for dsl and its working pretty well.

plshlpme,

What IOS image are you running, I tried a 2514 with 16/16 and the latest firewall image made for the 2500 and it ran dog slow !!!!

I thought I was back on a 28.8 dial-up modem again???

Went to a Cisco 831 also with 16/16 and the firewall image and it runs GREAT.

I have read a few posts that the last firewall image done for the 2514 was too large and had trouble.

Any thoughts ??

Thanks!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

hey,

im running Version 12.2(15)T15,
i have 16/16 as well.
the router runs fine but i really do notice a lag when i log into it to do config changes...
i think its sitting at about 25% - 40% cpu all the time...

i would like to upgrade to a 2600 series router.
im playing with quite a bit of stuff on mine...
PPPOE, OSPF, Tacacs etc so i am pushing it a little hard but i can't say that the throughput has been effected.. i can still get the maximums of my link no problem. 4m/800kb.

plshlpme,

Thanks, I have got to check the IOS version for the 2514 that I have - like I said the Cisco 831 runs great.

Thanks again!!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back