Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2500 losing config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Notchback

Programmer
Aug 25, 2000
GB
I have a 2500 series router that loses its settings, running and startup, after about an hour, even if it is still powered up. When I connect to it via the console, all I get is the prompt:

What?
>

When I reboot it, it starts up with the inital config choices. Anyone got any ideas????(-:

Thanks in advance

Notch

Bad flash.. overheating chip on the system board(had this one on a 2600) would starting points. The flash is the easiest to test with a borrowed chip. If the NVRAM is toast, then it's replace the router time.

MikeS
Find me at
"The trouble with giving up civil rights is that you never get them back"

The router could be booting up with the incorrect configuration register.

When the router boots up, you can verify the configuration register by doing a:

show version

If it's set to ANYTHING other than 0x2102 then the router isn't looking to NVRAM for it's configuration, thus it starts up with the 'initial config' repeatedly.

If this is indeed the case, try this:

enable
config term
confreg 0x2102
copy running-config startup-config
end
reload

~Rainman

I had this once and it was a bad IOS that needed to be upgraded. All post have helpful tips I would pursue them all. Jeter@LasVegas.com
Fisher CCNA,(Routing)
[americanflag]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back