Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

2500 and 3600 connected together

Status
Not open for further replies.

shrigz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 10, 2001
IE
I have a 3640 router doing my main work - connected to a 2meg line - i want to connect a 2500 to this - what should i configure on these routers to enable them to communicate routes? At the moment I have them connect through the fast-ethernet of the 3600 and the ethernet of the 2500 putting static routes on them but when I do this the fast ethernet port on the 3600 goes down every minute or so.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I had a similar problem with the 10M ethernet port on my 3640 router bouncing. I had to lock the router port and the corresponding switch port to half duplex to fix the problem.

Kreggo is absolutely right, you have to change to half duplex to fix the problem. Why do you need to communicate routes? Unless you are on a PAC(Public Access Channel), for internal use it just not necessary. Routing information programed into your switch sometimes causes problems where it can not adjust to changing network conditions. Most routing devices have the capability of discovering routes through the internetwork and storing the route information in the route tables. By programing communications routes you increase your SAP(Service Advertising Protocol), thus slowing down your network services such as print servers to your network clients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back